Fly Tying
DrLogik

Head Cement Preferences

Head Cement Preferences  

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had been using Zap A Gap, but noticed it was leaving an ugly residue, switched to fingernail polish and that has changed, actually using a bottle of $0.93 fingernail polish from Walmart

I often use Krazy Glue. I've sat in with Dan Delekta on a few tying clinics and he simply coats a short segment of the thread with Krazy Glue, wraps it down, waits a moment and cuts the thread. Perhaps a half-hitch or two, but no whip finish - he does this on all his Delekatble nymphs and so do I. So far I've never had one fail. On large streamers I often use Griff's, Flexament or Hard As Nails. Jim Teeny uses Hard As Nails exclusively - great guy!

I use Loon head cement system. It's non toxic and that's all I need to know. I have used varnish and it stinks so much.

It comes with syringe and brush applicator. I mainly use the syringe.

I have tried a few brands, but it always gets thick and I never have the right thinner/reducer so I just went old school and use clear lacquer. I have had a gallon of original Metal-Flake brand (before House of Kolor) clear lacquer for years now. I keep some in a cleaned out nail polish bottle with the little brush in the cap trimmed down and keep some in a bottle so I can use my dubbing needle/bodkin for the little flies. Lacquer thinner is all that is required to thin it and I have enough to last for way past my life expectancy. An eye dropper controlls how much thinner I want to add when it starts to thicken. It leaves a nice shine and a second or third coat can be added fairly quickly if you are working on something that requires a nice smooth head. The only bad thing that I have found is that you can't put it on the thread before a whip finish because it tacks up too quickly.

It depends. i usually use Sally Hansens because you can get it anywhere if you travel a lot like I do. If I am tying for the next day, or streamside, I don't use any head cement.

I have used sallies pretty much from the beginning. It just soaks right into the wraps and that's what I like. I either use the brush that comes with it or I use a little dropper bottle. Not sure the correct name for it.

I use flexament on my dries, and Sally Hansens on everything else.

I always apply directly to the thread, and then whip finish.

Dont remember responding or not here...

CCG Hydro OR superglue work great. I like hydro when I want the head "pretty" and superglue if it's a bead head or other fly where i wet the thread with the glue prior to whip finishing.

Still use regular old head cement at times... but mostly those other two.

I don't have the slightest idea, I've just learned to do a good whip finish and then apply some Rumpf head cement. I have never had a problem.

I received a older superfly fly tying kit a few years back (I think it was made in 1997) and it came with a bottle of head cement. I still have that bottle of cement and still use it today.