Fly Tying
oatka

Dubbing brushes in 2.35 seconds

So after watching a video on using a dubbing brush spinner tool, my buddy thought he could build one cheaper than th $60 (or was it $100) that they wanted for it. So, he gathered up some free parts he had and built a batter operated one. He claims it takes 2.35 seconds to create the dubbing brush, but I'm guessing that's 2.35 seconds to spin it, then you have to factor in setting the dubbing up prior to the spin.

Either way, here's the setup. He used a motor from a fan and rigged it up to a board and battery and viola.... The Dubbing Twister 2.35 was born.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

that's pretty sweet.....I was just thinking of buildong my own hand twist one, but this battery one is way cool....nice work....is there anyway to control the rate of spinning?

Most dimmer switches are for AC current so they wouldn't work with battery power. Simple rheostat (like a old volume control) would work but you need to check the resistance and wattage.

Neat tool.

Terry T

Potentiometer Is that spelled right??? that is a dimmerdial for DC

The Summer 2007 issue of Fly Tyer has a "Turbo Dubbing Twister" made of a piece of 2 by 4 and a roller blade bearing. It looks pretty easy to make, if you have wood-working tools.