Fly Tying

"mystery box revival"

A couple years ago, we had this swap with 10 tyers (I still have the list), it started out well, then for some reason got bogged down.

The way it ran, each tyer sent the swap meister any 10-15 flies of his choice(which were tagged with the tyers name). The swap meister then put all the flies in the "mystery box", and sent the box to the first person that he had on the list that he had made. This list was sent to each tyer with the order of the next person in line.

When the tyer received the box, he would take out 10-15 flies of his choice, replace those with some more new flies, then send them to the next person in line.

I recognize some of the original tyers are still around, would you be interested and new tyers are certainly welcome.

The key to being successful is each person needs to move the flies to the next person in line in a timely manner.

I eally did get some nice flies and was able to see the talent thatwas out there.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Sounds like a very interesting swap idea. I do have a question ... would a participant tie up one set of flies or two?

kerusso

The first group of flies of your choice would be sent to the swapmeister.Then when the mystery box was sent to you , you would take out 10 -15 flies from the "mystery box, and then put 10-15 more flies of your choice in the box and send it to the next person on the list. Hopefully, with prompt movement of the flies by each tyer(1 or 2 days) then send to next person on the list, The box would make a quick cycle. I would hope with 10 tyers, a complete cycle would be made in 6 to 8 weeks. conceivably there should be 100 -150 flies to check out when you get the box. When I got my first chance at the box there were some very nice flies.

The beauty of this swap, you can put any type of fly you want and mix it up. Good chance to let others see your flies, and you get to see the talents of others. For this to be a success, the box can't linger too long at any spot!!!

Hope this answers your question.

Pat Carroll

Pat count me in again!!!!!!!This was a vwry fun swap.To bad it went bad but we can make it turn around.Great bunch of members.Pat thinking of doing same kinda like swap box would help prevent someone keeping it.

Rick tt

Perhaps I am missing something, but what happens to the flys that are left over at the end?

As suggested above, the rules used by the "swap box" swap, would be good to follow, to get this swap going.

I think it should be limited to 10 tyers.

Tyers so far:

1. host

2. fc

3. flymaker

4. trouttraveler

5.wcoutfitter

With the first "mystery swap", we used a vcr container to ship the flies around. It held about 150 flies, so using a small tag on the flies is a must . The cost to mail the box was around $4.00, if I remember right.

Perhaps I am missing something, but what happens to the flys that are left over at the end?

:dunno: :help: :dunno:

Terry Lee

With each fly tagged by each tyer,we will maintain the ownership of the flies. If for some reason, the swap no longer functions, the flies will be returned . It will be necessary for all of the tyers to have each others home addresses, e mail addresses and phone numbers.To make this swap happen, we as a group must really talk it up and be

ready to move the flies to the next person in line.

We are going into this relying on the honesty and integrity of our fellow tyers.

It will be up to our group to establish guidelines to make this happen.This is my first attempt as a swapmeister, so any help and suggestions will be gladly accepted.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Ok, so does the box continually get passed around or is there a termination point? I think that is the question I am really trying to ask. If I seem stupid, remember I am from the hills and all. Too much moonshine before the age of five.

I guess the best way to answer is ,if their is enough interest it could go on for a while.Think about it.Each time someone else get it new batch of flies can go in that you did'nt get to view before if it had passed you up.Yes it could only go one round or continuesly for as long as we want.

Hope that answer it more.Can you pass the shine my way.

TT

Ok, I get it now. Sounds really cool.

I'm in, if you'll have me.

Terry