Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyweaver

drying out cell phone

Went fishing yesterday,cell phone decided it wanted to go swimming. Clip on case slipped, phone went into creek, quickley pulled it out. It was making all kinds of musical sounds. Put it in my pocket and kept fishing. Caught 5 lost 5 with many more hits. Got home put phone in a bowl and coverd it with rice after removing bat. Put bat. back in this AM and the darn thing works. We will see how long ot lasts but so far so good.

flyweaver

That's amazing!! A dunking like that is almost ALWAYS universally fatal,to 1. Cell Phones,and 2. Digital Cameras (one reason I am scared to DEATH to take my camera fishing!!) Keep a close eye on it though...I have heard of these things drying out,and coming back to life as you have described,only to give up the ghost permanently within another couple of days!! Glad to hear you were out getting wet tho' !!!

Sulphernut

Yeah, um next time get the battery out ASAP, as they tend to discharge themselves when shorted by the water and overheat

of the 6 I have dropped into the lake all but two, including my current motorola have survived

the last time it was in my pocket when I flippe dthe canoe

without thinking I reached in hte pocket and grabbed it, it was out of the water before my head was up

the battery was out as soon as the boat was righted, it's been almost a year and it's working fine,

the other thing I feel I shoudl tell you, as I am sort of the voice of experience here, is that you probably cannot make a waranty claim on the phone anymore, like I did the first couple

take hte battery out and look for a little red dot felt dot, if you see it, you can't make a waranty calim, that dot was white when you bought it and they turn red when they get wet, talk abotu conditioning the manufactures

Good Luck

Pauly

i was thrown in a lake with mine in my pocket a couple days later it worked only to be run over by a lawnmower in the end :hyst:

good points about taking the batt off ASAP. I've been an electronics technician for a lot of years and I've had all kinds of stuff handed to me to "fix" after a dunking... multimeters, cameras, phones (regular telephones with cords too... don't ask) but the best was a PDA a guy dropped in the TOILET :hyst: A quick rinse in distilled water after taking the batt out, pop all the covers off and slowly gently let it heat up and dry out propped up on the back of a computer monitor which was on 24/7 for several days.... good thing he had all his stuff saved on an SD card, and what do you know, it worked just fine after putting it back together. Like someone already said, the damage happens when someone tries to turn it on when it's full of dirty water- only a tiny bit of contamination in the water is enough to let current flow places it shouldn't and then it's toast. Soggy toast.

I should have thought of the distilled water thing, :boat:

after all H2O dosen't conduct electicity (go ahead somebody, challenge me on that one :flex: )

next time I will do that, the nail polish is a great Idea, I think maybe make sure it's not water based though

thanks

Pauly

When I got up on Wed. morn. I put the bat. back into the phone, nothing, then a minute later it came to life and at present is working ok. Putting it in rice over night removed the moisture and the screen fogging.

flyweaver

Correct water doesn't conduct electricity dissolved solids do! But he fastest way to dry any electrical component is WD40. I serviced car wash equipment tor 10 year trust me on that one!!! Ridderbos had his phone get wet last year We did not know it was wet for a long time. When we found it I had him pull the batt. it dried out and worked a few days later. But here is the deal It probably will not last to much longer. Most Phones run on very low voltage. any corrosion will cause that voltage to be restricted. Be ready to replace it if it starts to get goofy after a while!