Fly Tying

the wonderful Hellgrammite

Al...nice tie, indeed....would be a great Alderfly nymph, but you may want to fatten it up a bit for the smallies...My southern bronzebacks seem to prefer the big boys...but that's just a local observation. biggrin.gif

Tie Flyer....sometimes the hellgies can still be found in the riffles even in the winter..especially in spring fed streams that tend to be a little more temperate in the dead of winter....when conditions get too severe, they will try to burrow....

glad this post hads generated so much discussion...if you have never tried a hellgie, subdue a few and simply drift them (can't you just hear the purists gasp!!!) You will be amazed at how viciously fish strike these great nymphs!

Hi all, my first post here. Very informative site.

I had great luck nymphing an all black Murray's Helgie (wooly bugger with ostrich herl for tail instead of marabou) in shallows & into the tail ends of pools last year. Will be using the same tactic this year with a couple of extra patterns to see how they do.

Mandoyak

Murrays' Strymph tied in 4's or twos is also another great pattern you may want to experiment with!!

Yeah the Strymph looks like a great fly but I have a heckuva time getting all that fur in the dubbing loop and making it look anything like a Strymph. Me and the dubbing loop go round & round wallbash.gif but with practice it's getting easier. I have Skip Morris' "Bass Flies" book and it has pretty detailed photos & instructions oh how to tie the Strymph but I have a way's to go yet!

Mandoyak

those things are piled up under rocks in cook's forest in the clarion river. gives you the willies thinking about them! work excellent for smallies and even a few brook trout attacked them. them pinchers hurt though man! i bet i'll have scars!

John,

It was great meeting you this weekend....let me know the next time you make it up this way and we'll hook up with Billy and the boys somehwere...Looking forward to the rodeo!!!