Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

Does anyone have tips for taking underwater photos?

I tried taking my first underwater fish photo on saturday. The results were less than breathtaking.

One problem that i think i had was the flash, i think i need to make sure it is turned off before taking photos underwater.

Any other hints, tips or tricks?

Here is the only photo that turned out decent.

post-1597-1174915335_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna be watching for answers to this too. Just got a Pentax Optio W10 so we can have some pics streamside without fear of ruining the camera.

REE

Underwater photography depends a lot on the type of camera, settings, water quality and luck. After a few years "playing" with photographing fish under water, here are a few ideas that might help. Set the camera to manual, bump white balance, change to "cloudy", up the speed, turn off flash. If using the "auto" mode with flash, use a flash diffuser. Water, weather conditions: Get out of the current and bubbles, sun over your shoulder illuminating the subject, get closer. Angle camera towards surface to get interesting reflections. Shoot lots and hope. Post processing with a program like Photoshop will adjust for many problems.

post-9742-1175090011_thumb.jpg

post-9742-1175090160_thumb.jpg

The one thing about taking under water pictures is the water clarity itself. Very clear water is a big part of it. The pentax optio w10, w20 takes great under water pictures. They have a new w30 out now also.

Yeah... the two main changes are of course the resolution went up to I think 7.1 megapixels and the depth went up to 3 meters about ten feet from five feet on the W20. It also takes some sweet under water video also.