Fly Tying
jmkratt

Decent Starter Rod?

My wife has expressed interest in fly fishing when we go camping in the Rockies by lakes and I was thinking about getting her a rod for her birthday coming up here that she could start learning on this summer. She would really only be fishing high alpine stillwater with her time split between the shore and float tube. I was wondering if anyone here had good experiences with a beginner-type rod that might suit her fancy and might be able to recommend a rod? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Right on, that's where I started my search. Looks like they have quite a few rod/reel combos as well.

I appreciate the input!

I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality and value of Cabela's fly tackle in the last couple years. Lot of Cabela's named stuff (especially clothing) seems a bit overpriced, but from what I have seen and the money I've spent (two rods, three reels, lines, leaders, etc) it's gonna be tough to beat them for value per dollar. Most of it's imported, if that's of any concern to you. I like to try to buy US made stuff when I can, but sometimes it's impossible on my budget.

John, John, John,

Let me first start by telling you, if you buy your wife a rod for her birthday, she is gonna beat you with it. And buying such items as a new vacuum cleaner is not a good idea either. Here is what you do. Buy her something that she would buy herself... something lady like. That makes it look like you're being sensative to what she really wants. Then go out any buy yourself a new rod. Then when you go fishing, tell her you bought this rod some time ago, in the hopes that one day she would join you. You'll get twice the brownie points for basically the same level of effort. It not about working harder, its working smarter.....

By the way... the cabelas stuff in nice for a starter rod.

John, John, John,

Let me first start by telling you, if you buy your wife a rod for her birthday, she is gonna beat you with it. And buys a new vacuum cleaner isnot a good idea either. Here is what you do. Buy her something that she would buy herself... something lady like. Then go out any buy yourself a new rod. Then when you go fishing, tell her you bought this rod some time ago, in the hopes that one day she would join you. You'll get twice the brownie points for basically the same level of effort. It not about woring harder, its working smarter.....

By the way... the cabelas stuff in nice for a starter rod.

:hyst: flopez, that was pretty funny.

However, she herself has brought the idea up more than a couple times so I figured I'd be safe pursuing it. However, that being said, I like your idea of contributing to my gear collection and gaining brownie pts at the same time. I will have to put some thought to that.

Looks like Cabela's is the place to go, thanks everyone!

Take a look at the ECHO Classic series. They're 4 piece rods, come with a sock & cordura tube, and have a lifetime warranty, just $139. They're IM6 graphite, and are surprisingly nice rodsfor the price.

Don't know if you can get them in the US but the Greys GRXI is regarded as one of the best beginner rods here in the UK, might be worth a look?

A co-worker of mine recommended Orvis rods. I was under the impression that Orvis stuff was over-priced and not necessarily worth it - is that true?

Don't get a fast-action (tip) if she doesn't cast well -- she'll hate it (and you!) if it's her first rod.

Cabelas also has some St Croix's on closeout. I think they have hte Pro Graphite for $50.

Can't go wrong with St. Croix, in my opinion. Good casting rods and a great range of prices from low end to high.

Cabelas also has some St Croix's on closeout. I think they have hte Pro Graphite for $50.

Can't go wrong with St. Croix, in my opinion. Good casting rods and a great range of prices from low end to high.

John, my wife fishes with me. We both started out years ago with St. Croix Pro Graphites. I've moved onto other brands, but she still has her Pro Graphite and for all the fishing she does, she'll never get tired of it. Most knowledgeable shop owners will tell you that you can't find a better rod for the money. I agree. Dfix is also correct. Don't get a fast action tip...it will drive a beginner crazy. I have several rods, including Orvis, Sage and a couple of bamboos. I got them all off of Ebay for very good prices. You just have to be careful with who you are dealing with. Despite what some say, Orvis generally makes pretty good rods...especially if you can pick up last years or the year befores model for half of what they cost new.