Fly Tying

I've been seeing Togen hooks on ebay, and I'm not familiar with them, anybody have any experience tying with them? How do they compare with some of the others in quality, hardness, etc.?

I have been using them for the past 8 months and I cannot tell any difference in them and some other hooks I've used. They are sharp, haven't yet broken one in the vise or on a fish, and my catch ratio has stayed the same. For the money it's a hard deal to beat. You can get 1000 hooks delivered to your house for about $62. What I like is the hooks are sold in 100 count increments; you can get different styles and sizes with a bulk hooks order.

I like them alot, except for the finish I wish it were darker. Haven't broken one in the vise and they seem as strong as the Mustads haven't fished em yet as they were given to me and this weekend the weather is gonna stay nasty in Vermont so fishing is out.

Fatman

I use them on my personal flies and haven't had any troubles. Only difference I have noticed in the dry fly hooks is that the Togens are slightly smaller than the Mustad 94840s that I usually employ.

I got my first order of them last week. I bought about 500 and a friend bought 700. Like Fatman said, the finish could be darker. They are not quite as gold as some cheapo hooks i probably picked up from Wal-Mart (for my kids to tie on) but not nearly as dark as what most hooks seem to be. I have only tied on a few of them since i got them, but at the vise they have worked just fine. For the price I figured i'd try them out. I payed either $96 or $98 and got 1100 hooks (yeah, if you do the math on the 500 and 700 split i first told you about, it doesn't add up to 1100.....they accidentally tossed in an extra 100 hooks and told me to keep them), and 200 beads. They also threw in 10 extra free beads of a different style. So, overall it seems like a good deal. The beads however, have more of a rough cut than some I've used. I have not tied those yet but I could possibly see a potential problem with the thread getting cut. hopefully not.

Haven't tried the togans yet. But I have been usung the saber hooks for ovver a year with good results.$7.00 a hundred or you can get them in the 1000 count from Big Meadows Fly shop.

Great hooks - and hard to beat the price. They allow you to order a 1000 pack comprised of hooks and styles of your choice, lowers the price to about $6.80 per hundred.

Not yet available in all the ranges and styles of the larger vendors, but I've replaced all the "standard dry" and "standard nymph" hooks with these.

A quick word on the Saber hooks ...... I used some last weekend and I was using some small midges tied on a scud hook. I had problems hooking fish because it appears the gape is too narrow. I switched to another hook style and never had a problem after that. I missed 11 fish until I changed. I stuck every fish after that. Just my .02.

I'm from Australia & I have purchased Togen hooks from Ebay USA at a fraction of the retail price of comparable fly hooks here.

I reckon they are fine & I will continue to buy & use them.

I use heaps of hooks & I keep thousands in supply, they will all get used & I will continue to replace them with hooks from the USA.

Oatka

I use a lot of beads and am thinking of ordering some.

Have you had a chance to use some yet, and what do you think of

them now?

tight lines and heavy creels

-Tom

I haven't tied with them yet.

I'll go vise one up, and wrap some thread around it and get right back to you.........

OK, had to help a neighbor put in a sink, and another guy move into a house, but i tied with one.

it worked out fine.

yeah, terrible review, but what did you expect for free! ;)

I still think the rough edges might break my thread once i start using them more.

I use alot of Togen beads. Some are a little rough, and it was a concern at first. After tying and fishing with them for the last year, I've had no problem at all with them.