Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
binfordw

Some Trout patterns

Grabbed a large pile of new supplies today to continue work on my trout patterns, Im posting some below to see what you all think. Keep in mind I've never had the chance to fish coldwater species, So when it comes to experience on the stream I have zero. Im just going by what I've read over the years and the helpful info here.

The generic parachute ended up with an elk wing, I intended to use calf body. Guess Im tired lol. I did buy some cdc feathers, I need to try some of them out too. I just got the beads and suitable hooks today, so these are the first beadheads I've been able to tie. Am I headed in the right direction for productive nymph patterns?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

binfordw,

I looks like you've got a nice collection of trout flies. I would suggest you add a couple more nymph patterns containing hares ear dubbing (gold ribbed hares ears nymph), peacock (zugbug or prince nymph), some pheasant tail (pheasant tail nymphs) and lastly some partridge hackle (soft hackle fly). These materials and patterns should cover most of the colors of insects (tans, browns, olives, etc).

One of my favorite nymph patterns is called a Skip Nymph (created by Mr. Skip Morris). I like it because it works great and is super easy to tye. Here is a hyper link to an article Skip wrote showing how to tye the Skip nymph (the second and third page of the article have detailed tying instructions).

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/smskipnymph/index1.html

Hope this helps. ;)

PS - Foam beetles, ant, grasshopper patterns are also excellent on trout. I am a big fan of each of the foam patterns created by Mr. Harrison Steeves. Again these patterns are very easy to tye and they will float all day for you. If you do a search for "Steeves" in the fly pattern database you will find a number of his patterns.

Here is an link to one of his step-by-steps:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hshopper/

Oh wait, then you need some streamers. I would stongly suggest the addition of some woolybuggers (olive, black and brown) tied in the size 8 to 10 range...

... (and the list goes on and on and on....)

:D

Good Day,

I agree with the prior two posts. In all cases the proportions look pretty good I would say. Perhps though, the wing on the first fly could be just a tad shorter. On the secong fly I noticed fibers extending from the head area, but that can be fixed with practice. It took me a while when I started to get nices heads. Caddis looks fine. I would take a little more care with regard to the nymph body. Keep in mind that when tying wire bodydies (abdomens) any errors underneath the wire are usually seen on the outside. It the underbody is not smooth the wire on the outside wont be either. Keep up the good work!

Steelie

Look fishy to me! I need to add the hare's ear to my arsenal. Your copper wrapping job on that Copper John looks better than anything I've been able to do so far! :lol:

Don't forget that stereotypical "warmwater" flies are killer for trout too. Buggers, clousers, deceivers, muddlers and all of their infinite variations. Where I fish, people even catch trout on 10" long streamers and sluggos while striper fishing.

This is a footlong rainbow in the jaws of this Brown:

IPB Image

One of these days I want to catch a trout on one of those gargantuan streamers just for the heck of it.

Yeah the copper job is a bit crappy, tied it in a bit of a hurry before leaving for work. The thread job on some of the heads, well, never been great at making clean heads really. Instead of winding up with too bulky of a head I usually do as few wraps as possible, which when mixed with less than ideal trimming leaves them looking rough. I did pick up some 8/0 thread, which helps alots in the smaller flies, although I would still like some smaller thread I think for some of the really tiny drys and such. I normally use 6/0 unless im doing alot of hair or bigger bugs.

Been working on alot of streamers as well, as smallmouths will be my main target this year. Just planning on hitting some local tailwaters for hatchery trout and gearing up for a summer trip to the smokies with the wife.

the one thing that jumps out at me...is the uneven tips when using elk/deer hair......are you using a hair stacker? (if not I would suggest one).....other than that they look fishy to me

Yeah the copper job is a bit crappy, tied it in a bit of a hurry before leaving for work. The thread job on some of the heads, well, never been great at making clean heads really.

Neither have I. As long as it isn't bulky and obnoxious and catches fish, I could care less.

Yep you guessed it, no good hair stacker here. I have one i made for bass bugs on the lathe at work but its really too big for small amounts of hair, especially short hairs.