Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steelhead South

Knotted stonefly legs

Looking at some interesting stonefly nymph patterns, I was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to knot short biots to create joints in the legs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Wow, that's interesting, haven't seen a stonefly nymph pattern that's called for that. (not that that's unusual, only been tying a few months). What problems are you having with knotting the biots? It would seem like the joint would look way to big. Do you actually want that knotted look, or just a sharp bend in the biot. Be interesting to see a picture of a fly that had this, or a link to the pattern if it's online.

The only thing I've been told (and found to be true) is that if you leave the biot's between a couple wet paper towels for a while, they are easier to work with, might keep the knot from unraveling.

Scapegote

Hey,

I've seen those flies at shows and on eBay. The guy is good. I purchased some from him a few years back and man it took a while to replicate those legs, and I still can't do it as well.

I find that soaking the boits helps, much like quills. They tend to lose their "spring" when wet. Also tie the smaller knot first, the one near the tip of the biot. Then tie the second knot which will be much easier than the first. Do not tighten the knot until the spacing is the way you want it. (Using needles helps).

Good luck!

I might have to try that with my Rainy leg knotting tool, if it works on pheasant tail it should work on biots too. If anyone wants to see the rainy tool instructions their in the photo gallery.

Fatman

I aint even going there . I tie some pretty good stuff but knotting biots that is beyond me, Tried, bad results . maybe one of these days Ill give it a try again.

How much this guy get for his flies? Might have to give up tying nymphs and just buy the from him.

Tube blink.gif

I tried kinking the biots, but it doesn't last. After a short time they just straighten back out. I went to stripping hackle and knotting the quill. The length of the hackle makes easy and it can be trimmed afterwards.

Good Day,

You could also experiment with heat and super glue. Heat up the tips on some tweezers or such with a flame, crimp and bend leg to shape. Apply drop of glue on inside corner of joint. Usually holds pretty well. But like with many other things.... you might get one that straightens out while fishing.

Steelie

Old School.

Fine hook crochet hooks, regular or reverse-grip tweezers and sailmaker's or repair needles; gentle steam or hot water.

Hey Guys,

I posted a new technique (well new to me!) for knotting biots - I know this is an old post but if you're still curious perhaps you might find this helpfull.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...c=41590&hl=

-Clint

check your link. all it does is bring up the main fly tying page

I knotted a bunch of biots sitting in front of mindless tv one night. After a couple of different methods, I settle on one that worked the best for me.

I used a toothpick and a knit picker. The knit picker came from our sewing kit. It's a tool for pulling fraying threads on a sweater or similar woven material. The same tool (w/ a larger handle) is sold as a fly tying tool, but I forget its name. Basically its a long, skinny piece of metal with a curve on the end. There is a straight piece of metal that moves and if lifted up it closes the curve at the top. (I know, bad description).

After cutting the biots off the quill, I placed the wide end of the biot on a round toothpick and rolled it down the toothpick a couple of times between my fingers. This gave the biot some curve to it. I then made a circle with the biot, stuck my knit picker through the hole and grabbed the short end of the biot and pulled through. Ta-Da knotted biot.

Phishtales