Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mtn

Cove's Pheasant Tail Nymph

Pretty good buzzer imitation. I tied in some brown cheeks on the fly photographed for some extra realism.

I remember this pattern when Arthur Cove first introduced this pattern back in the 70's. It was tied on a long shank then and fairly big as I recall an 8 or 10.

It was tied to represent anything from a large midge pupa, a general nymph and when stripped fast a small bait fish (minnow).

Ok I have said my piece and by the way Mtn a very nice tying.

Tight lines.......

Mike.......................... B)

Nice tying mtn, I like the brown cheeks you have added.Being pedantic I would add Arthur tied the body farther round the bend and used blue underfur of wild rabbit for the thorax.That said you can see your fly would take fish all day, every day!As Mark says Arthur used it as a general purpose fly, quite often on a wide gape heavy Partridge down eye, as big as a size 8.I have watched him cast it out,tuck the rod under his arm and just wait for a fish after fish to hook itself as it fished round in the wind.Deadly fly.

Nice one as always Elliot........

They would certainly work on a clear small lake etc, where you can see the fish, cast out, and lift the rod with the fly coming across the fishes vision. Haven't tried them on the chalkstreams yet, though will pretty soon. The mayfly are occupying my thoughts at the min !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Regards and keep 'em comin

Your friend Chris

Thanks everyone. Funny you should mention that Knoxy, I was at Delbury last weekend, the water was crystal clear had some great fun with a Cove's Pheasant Tail on a size 10, best fishing I've had in a long time.

Proof of the pudding then !!!!

Its a good pattern, that you could put some variation to, especially with all the multi coloured wire etc thats available nowadays.

Thanks Elliot

Best Regards

Chris