Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
day5

SW MI salmon fly!!!

I found 20+salmon flies about 1/4 mile from a great trout river today. Man would I had loved to have been on the water for that hatch!!! How about a 2 and a half inch long emerger pattern??? here are a few pics!!!!

post-2608-1177974579_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1177974610_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1177974637_thumb.jpg

Might be better off with a big nymph or dry as most of these guys crawl out of the water before they emerge. They should hatch here soon, and I am looking forward to it. They are an awesome looking insect, almost look like they are made out of plastic.

I was looking in a calm pool at some insects today, I could tell what they were, all but one. It was a little out of reach, so I stood up and was hit square in the chest with a salmon fly. It dropped right into my hand. my hand had an orange mark on it, anyone know what that orange stuff was? It was like a powder

I knew they were going to hatch here soon. I only saw three of them. I brought the fly home took a bunch of pictures and even made a couple short movies with my digi cam. Ill post a link when I can. I took the fly outside and set it free. Here are some of the pics,

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The other insect finally came close enough and I saw it was a beetle. The salmon fly was inside a glass bowl so there is some glare

looking back at it reminds me of when I was in Idaho Falls, Idaho for work reasons 2 years

ago..I hit the salmon fly hatch there ,they were all over the place trout we going nuts..man was

that a sight to see. :D

I never even thought about eggs, thanks. I have not been back out, as its been cold and windy. We are expecting some rain and then nicer weather. I hope to find a few more, or at least be fishing when there is another hatch. They are a neat insect, here are the links to the short videos I made, they are not very good as they are my first attempts.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v452545TzWCFMSK

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v452056TnD7jyxh

Now to tie some flies

great shots!!! that underside shot is a great look at the segments and speeks volumes for "ribbing" a fly.