Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vence

Bass and Bluegill Flies

Right now I'm limited to a spinning rod. So what kind of flies should I be using for Bass and Bluegill that will work on a spinning rod? I'm fishing in water where you can see about half a foot down before it goes muddy, so its not all that clear.

Thanks

To keep it simple, a rubber spider- the slow sinking variety. I prefer a black chenille body with white legs, but the combinations are endless. I normally use a size 10-12 Mustad 3366 hook for these, cheap and effective.

Bass WILL hit these and often do, but if your after bass specifically there are better choices.

Just grab a round bobber, or better yet a sleeker "casting" bobber and have fun catching gills.

* Edit *

If you don't tie flies yet, feel free to pm me your address if you wish, I have a lifetime supply of simple bluegill flies here that i'll never get to use.

Cool thanks, I just did. I'll try them out and I'll start buying from you if they work and if your willing to make them.

Sent pm back. No need to buy em, I can get enough of them through regular postage to last you several seasons, even if you cast the way I do lol.

Hehe, Ok thanks man.

?

If you could use some simple bluegill stuff that works I can send you some mail too, Its no big deal. My little cabinet on my desk is full of flies, much like that Christmas movie with the Island of Misfit toys, that will likely never see water otherwise.

Its about time I get rid of them anyway, maybe I can start using it to organize more materials so I can see my desk for once :blink:

Whatever you want is fine, if I can I'll send you the pics of the fish I catch with them if I get the chance.

Hey vence

I started tying flys before I had a fly rod I tied some SMPs (Skip Morris Panfish flys)

and some clouser minnows. Both are weighted flys and you should easily be able to

fish them with spinning tackle. I caught many bass and panfish with them.

Good luck and I will be looking for your fishing report. :bugeyes:

-Tom

Try some rabbit strip flies, like bunny leeches and double bunnys. Simple ties, don't use too much for materials and rabbit strips are cheap.

They'll get pretty heavy when wet, but you can put a large lead conehead sinker on the line ahead of them and they'll be heavy enough to cast like a rapala.

When I was a little nipper, too young to manage a fly rod, I was taught

how to fish flies using a spinning rig and bubble float.

The float I used was a hollow see-through plastic bubble about the size of

a golf ball with 2 rubber stoppers and a rim with holes for the line.

The idea is you partially fill the bubble with water for casting weight.

Haven't seen one of these for a long, long time but you still may be able

to get them.

As regards flies for panfish :- subsurface - wooly worm (yellow chennile body,

red floss tail and grizzly hackle), surface - simple cricket with foam body and

rubber legs.