Fly Tying
dsaavedra

BLUEGILL HELP NEEDED BAD!!!!!!!

ok. so the pond in the woods that i fish now has 40 some bluegills in it. well my friend that i fish with down there always SMOKES me down there. i dont mind cuz i use artificial stuff (lures and flies) but he uses bread. so its a givin he will catch more. but still.....i cant even catch bluegill down there on a foam spider! thats like the ultimate gill fly...but they'll hit it and wont take it. what is goin wrong!?!?!?

about the pond:

the water is BLACK and there are red weeds and green scum under water. sand bottom. shallow (deepest is like 4.5') PLENTY of sticks and logs underwater. also a goooooood supply of critters scootin' about underwater. a whole poo-load of bugs flyin above the water and dabblin around on there.

so what flies should i use?

Tie a bread fly. There has to be some pattern out there to match Wonder Bread!

Good luck!

Sounds like they are tiny bluegill? Try a smaller sized spider. Either they are missing because its just a bit awkward to get into their mouth, or have bad aim.

yeah i created a bread fly a while back! it used to work, but they have learned not to bite it now. they are on the smaller side, and i'll make some smaller flies to accomadate them. and i do need to make some stuff they never seen. thanks guys!

and i dont think they are exactly "missing" i think most times they are just peckin at it to see what it is. but sometimes the larger ones do actualy come out of the water for it, but they do truely miss.

thanks for all the help guys!

It sounds to me also like it's smaller fish tapping at the fly...

Typically the smaller fish will grab the tail of a too large fly and tap tap tap it, run with it, and then the numbers of small fish actively feeding will entice a larger 'gill to move in and take your fly or lure.

Sometimes I get to the larger fish by getting a fly slightly deeper than right on top. It seems sometimes like the small guys are banished to the very top of the water column. This goes for perch and gills. Use a small black or chartreuse weighted or bead head fly with a fine tippet and a strike indicator as a sort of depth setting dare I say it... bobber :unsure:

Try tying a small spider or other pattern on only the rear of a long shanked hook like a gamakatsu panfish and crappie hook or a cheap tru turn bait hook in small sizes like 10 or so. You could also try aberdeen hooks in size 10 or so, even smaller, or simply long shanked trout streamer hooks.

Smash the barbs down before tying so you can easily release the little buggers.

The long shank and smashed barb will make it easy to dislodge hooks so you can get the fly out there faster as well as not letting the brutes swallow the hook as often.

--cutthroat.trout

The other day I was fishing from a local pier and outfishing the baitfishers (kind of felt bad - it was a couple of young girls and their dad). What I noticed was that the motion of the fly is what hooked them. The fly hitting the water would bring them in, but it wasn't until I twitched it that they really went after it. The fly is one of my bugger variants. When the marabou kicked, they went nuts. Go for action.

Deeky

IPB Image

ANY COLOR will work

sounds like a place i wouldnt want my fly line coming into contact with! :(

second the EHC.

i used a "deer" hair caddis last evening.................size 12.

the wife still out-fished me with spinning gear but it was close.................6-8. to my surprise actually nailed a nice bass on a size 12! first time fishing the EHC.............like how it rides and how you can manipulate it.

not sure what size hook your using..........might try a size or two smaller.

good luck.

camoham

When the bluegill aren't really cooperating, i like to give them a fly that barely has anything off the hook. The logic behind it is if they are going to nibble at anything, i want a hook DIRECTLY under that material. Anything with a tail or legs will just be played with. My latest fly, is what I call "Mike's Bead Head, Orange and White Ostrich Herl Pan Fish Annihilator." It's a bead with a strip of orange and white wrapped on a hook. simple, yes, but they have no option but to take the hook.

Fished the MBHOWOHPFA last saturday with the scouts and the only scout that used it double his numbers quickly. The worms that he had been using gave to much room to nibble and not get hooked.

(ps - I did not supply the worms. I supplied the flies) B)

ok thanks guys. i will make them on smaller hooks, less stuff hangin off, and ill try some new stuff. i went down there today using a small trebel hook with dough on it adn worm and i only caught ONE fish!!! im starting to wonder if all the fish died due to lack of food or sumthin. cuz they sure arent bitin as much as when i first put them in.