Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CTBUGGER

Dog hair

this is going to be weird, but my rottweiler is sheding like crazy and he has awesome thick almost deer like fur and its jet black, I was wondering if i can do anything with it, if not just tell me im weird. :dunno:

hahaha thats not wierd if it will catch fish!Iv used some from a jack russle terrier as tails on nymphs.Some dog hairs wont bind for dubbing but id say some could.

I will have to say this to you, when I was growing up I helped my dad tye Crappie flies or leadheaded crappie jigs as they are now called. Our neighbor had a Collie that had the best looking patch of long white hair that I had seen. I knew the first time I saw her I was gonna make me some fantastic flies. I did, and it worked really well and the flies looked great. This went on with me cutting her hair and making flies a little at a time over about a 2 month time span. Then one day I came home from school aand almost died when I saw the dog. It was covered in old burnt motor oil. When I went and told my neighbor , he said he knew the dog was covered in oil because he did it to help the dog recover from the mange he had been getting the last couple of months. I just keep my mouth shut and never tied my Lassie flies again. By the way the oil cured the mange.

Jeff

I made a couple of fancy broach flies for a friend and used hair from from her dog. The dog is a Mini Spitz and she did not like sissors. After the third patch both my friend and her dog were growling. Ties great though.

Historically all the pottery studios in Japan kept dogs to make their glaze brushes. Brush dogs have been around for a thousand years, no reason we can't have fly dogs.

Here's my new fly dog. Puppy Newf pictured at 15 weeks. She'll probably be the provider of many flies. Like malamutes, newfoundlands blow their coat every spring and fall. I may invest in a spinning wheel. I'm also looking for a market for dog drool. Floatant perhaps?

IPB Image

I swear, the underfur from my blond Lab has the same translucence as Polar Bear - not that I'll ever admit to using it...

Historically the Gary Dog (or Ministers Dog) was originally tied with dog hair, and (some of) the winging on the modern Templehund or Templedog style of tube flies is dog hair.

Hywel

have a husky/shepard mix that sheds a nice creme color all the time. the beagle doesnt have a whole lot to offer. one cat has a nice 'adams gray'.................

not weird at all.

camoham

hahaha I always joke with my mom that I'm going to cut her cat's fur, and with my brother that I'm going to cut his beagle's fur.

My brother traps and skins in the late fall, and he has a nice muskrat skin in his room. When he goes to college he always tells me he'd hurt me if he came home and some fur was missing. Apparently he can read my mind. :) Not really about a pet, but I still think it's funny.

We have a Norwegian Elkhound (...blended with some other unknown lineage). She, too, sheds her underfur when the days get longer and the temperature rises.

About the only thing I can say about her hair is that if it gets into a bad cup of coffee, the coffee still tastes bad.