Fly Tying
VERN-O

head cement aplicator

I don't use an applicator, but use the super glue straight from the container it comes in.. But, I don't keep the cap on it. That allows the glue to run back down the tube and keeps the tube clear. The glue in the bottle doesn't set up. (I use Loc-tite)

Don't see why that wouldn't work with an applicator, unless the needle is too thin.

I also put super glue in a syringe, the kind used for insulin (very fine needle) for applying to parachute posts, and have never had it set up during long tying sessions.

I've wondered about this myself. My guess would be no, it will not clog, since superglue (both Loctite and Krazy Glue) now comes in a bottle with a brush in the cap. I don't know whether the brush-on super glue is different from the tube variety.

(Another way to create an applicator for super glue is to use the brush-on version and cut the brush down to a fine point.)

flyline...thanks for the tip....I too use the super glue brush (trimmed).....maybe I'll stick that and throw the sally hansen's in the applicator jar

I had just about sworn off using any kind of super glue, due to it getting blocked in the

manufacturers tube nozzle etc.

Last ditch, I decided to try the Loctite super glue (and gel) which comes in a hard plastic stand-up bottle.

It dispenses easily and accurately and never gets clogged.

if and when i use headcement (not often) ill use superglue. love the stuff! goes on smooth and really hardens the thread and gives a nice finish.

I like the Loctite, too. I taught one of my friends to tie though, and let her use my new bottle, and she literally glued her fingers together...

I have to get another new bottle now. :(

like to know just where everyone is getting all the various glues.. I can only find in the mess lil tubes.... Need to find a better way to get a buzz from my flies :hyst:

like to know just where everyone is getting all the various glues.. I can only find in the mess lil tubes.... Need to find a better way to get a buzz from my flies :hyst:

your local big box home center or craft shop sells all kind of adhesives. even walmart.

I don't know how putting crazy glue in an applicator bottle would work. I've got some squeeze type applitors I've used for head cement, but I find they seem to let air in and the cement thickens up faster than I like it to, and you have to add a lot of thinner. I'm sure the crazy glue wouldn't last too long in one of these. plus it would goop it for refilling or reuse.

I've recently ( in the past year) bought some Loctite crazy glue that come in a rigid plastic bottle with side bars (tabs ?) that you squeeze. They control some sort of valve internally that appears to give really good control over the flow of the crazy glue; greatly superior to to squuezing a glue tube. This stuff comes in regular( thin ) and gel thickness formulations , and has a long needle nose applicator just like the squeeze tubes, has a screw on cap to keep it from drying out. My first bottle ( gel) lasted a long time. The bottle also sits up on the tying table when not in use

It is not refillable and cost about $ 5 ( Canadian).

I bought it at a local hardware store.

My $0.02 worth on this subject.

I often use a plain ol' pointy wooden toothpick for applying super glue, zap a gap, etc. Works great and who cares if it gets ruined?

I like the brush-on loctite or krazy glue (though I have the loctite squeeze bottle described above). When I putting it on a tight spot, I use a pin or needle to dab the smallest drop possible from the brush. Have been planning to cut down one of the brushes, but I expect a pin will still be needed for the smallest applications.

Thanks Guys for the great ideas..... Guess I've overlooked some of the best places for the glue. I saw on youtube a guy makin some foam hoppers, and he had a couple of bottles of "Crazy Glue" in a purple bottle with a nail polish applicator. But I havent gotten out to check the local hardware stores... Here is the link to the video if anyone has a mind to watch it, then you'll know what glue I want exactly...... Thanks Again

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=OugrUbjqpcQ