Fly Tying
VERN-O

head cement aplicator

My Home Depot carries the Krazy Glue brush on (Loctite had the brush on glue first, but they both work). The purple Krazy Glue turns clear as it dries, so you know when it's set. I've used it and it works fine. They also make a clear version without this feature.

At the risk of stating the obvious, be very careful not to tip over the open bottle when using any of the brush on super glues. Most of the bottles are not very stable. I (and others) push the bottom of the bottle into a flat piece of modelling clay on the desk to reduce the risk of spills.

Hi guys. My name is Michael. I haunt the rodbuilding forum quite a bit, but relatively new here. I've been tying since I was a kid, with a LONG hiatus until about 3 years agao.

I've been using zap-a-gap for finiahing heads. I've been told it's the same as super-glue or krazy-glue. It's all CA I guess. I've heard you can buy big bottles of it craft stores. Some of the rodbuilding dudes use it as a finish on reel seats, so it's available in larger quantities than the silly little tubes.

Putting it in a applicator bottle seems like a good idea to me. I'd be very carful that the top is really tight, as CA is thinner than most cements and may run out if not tightened completely. I have a 1 oz bottle I had tipped over on my desk that I didn't realize for a couple days, and it leaked out and fused the label to my desk - now I have a big CA spill and the back side of the bottle label stuck on my desk forever! DAMN!!! :wallbash: Trying to peel it off will just take the cheap veneer off.

I started putting it on the thread before I whip finish. Great for small flies. For parachutes I use a needle-type applicator, but I htink I'm gonna get a new applicator bottle and fill it w/ CA and see hwo it goes. Great thread! mpp

Question on head cement while this topic is still tops... I left the cap off for most of a day and now my jar is all gummy. Any basic household stuff or regular thinner I can add, or does it need something special???

It's just plain ol' head cement.

I think you need to add a solvent same as or similar to the existing one. In other words, water if its water based, or appropriate solvent/thinner.

My two cents--throw it out and buy a new jar.

For my larger flys I like Sally Hansen's Hard as nails with nylon. On smaller flys I use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement which I found at a hobby shop and the applicator is already very thin.

Does Sally Hansen actually sink in and glue the thread wraps together. My experience with nail polish is that it coats the thread but doesn't get absorbed--good for a glossy finish, but not for gluing the wraps.