Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyweaver

free wing material

Went fishing last night and when I was finished I saw the field next to where I was parked was loaded with goose wing feathers. So, I gathered up about 15 or so matched sets, right and left. only took a couple of minutes, now I have enought wing quills for a lot of flies.

Thats cool, I am always on the look out for feathers like that. Its all a great bounus to your fishing trip.

How do you tell if you have a pair of not?

There are geese all around here, and I have collected dozens of their feathers, but I can't tell if they are pairs or not.

Hold the wings together if they curve in opposite directions you have a left and a right. After you compare some you will see the difference. Also there is a long side and a short side. Put them back to back, stem to stem. Let me know if this helps.

B) Steelie is right. What I usually do is:

1. soak in a mixture of Woolite or Delicare(kroger's) and add a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to it. let soak nat least 2 hours. stir occasionnally. the feathers should be clean of any bugs, and/or blood, and the fibers will be more manageable when you use the feathers.

joelst

When I go "scavaging" I put my stuff in the freezer to kill bugs.