Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
camoham

first Copper johns..........

tied this one up for fun this weekend. someday might be able to throw these at some trout; however, as i suspected, bluegill like them to.

IPB Image

i think it was 32 gauge brass/copper wire i used (might not have the gauge right).

pretty fun tie with a lot of steps. thinskin is fun to work with. size 10 nymph hook seemed awefully short shanked. how much smaller do you guys tie these?

TIA

camoham

Hi camoham,

Great looking fly - good job! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Very nice tie. Biots look great. Lots of folks have a little trouble with them, but it looks like you have it down.

That's a great pattern. Have caught gills, brookies, browns, rainbow, smallmouth bass, perch on them.

yep, biots......................think i have a lifetime supply of them, 3 or 4 strips. youd have to work pretty hard to exhaust that. most of the recipes ive read show tying them both in at the same time. i found i got a better "V" if i did them separately.

the gaps in the body (wire) are hard to avoid even while letting the wire "roll" off the previous wrap. have to use my reading glasses on that part for now on...........the lens doesnt lie :)

the CJ sinks like a rocket. can watch the leader disappear at a pretty good rate. the "take" on that fly is a whole different ball game. not readily apparent (guess thats why some use 'indicators').

nailed 2 just experimenting with it. gotta be more careful with the presentation on that one or it goes....................slap.............kerplunk!

camoham

great looking flies!! i tie them up to sz 18 as well in various colors (red, black, green, lime green....)

keep em comin!

great looking flies!! i tie them up to sz 18 as well in various colors (red, black, green, lime green....)

keep em comin!