Fly Tying
flygirl08

Dying fur/feathers...

Me again...I have heard about people dying their own materials, but never knew how. I've seen dye sold specifically for tying materials, but they're all so expensive. I've decided to always buy the basic or 'natural' color of materials, unless I specifically WANT another color, just in case I can learn to dye them later.

What I'm wondering is, is there a cheap way of dying materials, and if so, HOW? :blink:

-FG08

Dear Flygirl08, you can use any of those powders used to prepare sodas at home (Tang is one of them) for dyeing feathers and furs. You will find a lot of different colors (and flavors) in any grocery store.

In fact there have been several posts about this topic in the near past.

Do a search for "Kool Aid Dye"- you'll get lots of hits and instructions. Kool Aid works on any animal fibre. You'll see lots of examples walking around downtown or at your local mall.

There was also some posts here I believe about Gatorade dyeing not too long ago.

Hi FG08,

Rit Dyed is available at most super markets at a fairly reasonable price. Personally I prefer the liquid concentrate but the powder also will work just fine. A. K. Best has a great book on dying and most of the recipes utilize Rit Dyes. It is well worth the money. One tip: if you use commercial dyes keep the temperature at 145 degree F or less. This is especially important when dying "feathers on the skin." White vinegar is a good product for "setting the dye."

Also, be carefull in the kitchen when dying or you could have a really unhappy wife from the mess ... Oh yeah ... Probably not a problem for you BUT dye can make a real nasty mess in the kitchen/stove so go with care. Good luck with you new venture. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Do a search for "Kool Aid Dye"- you'll get lots of hits and instructions. Kool Aid works on any animal fibre. You'll see lots of examples walking around downtown or at your local mall.

There was also some posts here I believe about Gatorade dyeing not too long ago.

:hyst: :hyst: In the mall or downtown! :hyst: :hyst:

I have used food coloring a few times on white hackles and guinea,but failed misserably with deer hair :wallbash:

Feathers are much easier to die than fur. I use Kool Aid but commercial dies are a lot better. Don't use anything except glass Pyrex containers to prepare your dye baths, it makes cleaning up easier.

A. K. Best has a great book on dying and most of the recipes utilize Rit Dyes.

A. K. must be an expert on thanatology!!!!!!! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: