Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Mid-Michigan River

I'd guess that shrimp to be closer to a 10 or 12. Ralf zoomed in pretty good when taking the picture and I have huge fingers (and we all know that means eek.gif banana.gif serenade.gif whistling1.gif LOL).

All kidding aside he is smaller than he appears in the photo.

QUOTE (Dornug @ Mar 23 2004, 04:20 PM)

All kidding aside he is smaller than he appears in the photo.

you are talking about the bug right? bugeyes.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

That is too cool guys! I too have turned a few rocks and logs in my time, and found it very educational! Nice Pictures I will be saving those for future reference.

QUOTE (Dornug @ Mar 23 2004, 04:20 PM)
I have huge fingers (and we all know that means  eek.gif  banana.gif  serenade.gif  whistling1.gif LOL).

You're a Proctologist?

okay, after much thinking about the stonefly (showing the bottom view) i want an opinion on this easy pattern.

what about taking white dubbing or ostrich herl as the main body, and putting black thin skin or substitute as the overlay? looking at those, the eyes also stand out somewhat so include some mono eyes in black if desired. for the antena (sp?) using short pieces of vinyl ribbing or some cameloun maxima.

for the slimmer (more flat body) tie the lead on the side of the hook instead of wrapping it around the shank.

another alternitive is to weave the body as in pujic woven stonefly posted previously, but dont really know how you would get the the white cause i havent seen larva lace in white.

You could use embroidery floss instead of larva lace. I do my granny bug that way, you could use a tiger weave i think. And as far as a flattened body, wrap your lead on and flatten it with pliers.

john

didnt even think about the floss, good idea. i can see my wife laughing at me even more now.

honey i gotta go to the store and get some embroidery floss for my flies LOL smile.gif

didnt think about flattening the wire like that either.

embroidery floss is a great body maker. And cheap at .29 cents a skein. I once bought 5 pounds of it on ebay for 10 bucks.

john

Another way to make a flat body is to tie yarn lengthwise down the sides of the shank then just wrap your lead on the thorax. It's much easier to taper the end yarn at the back of the body than build thread up to the hard point of .030 lead. that base will leave you with a nicer dubbing or weave job.

That's a great start.

What do you think about using that poly yarn (light green) for the belly? It's light enough to create a contrast and almost glows a little to add some flash while it tumbles)

I'll have to play with that. (Hope to find some time this week) mad.gif

Sean,

Although it doesn't show really well in the pics, the color is actually a dark brown and mottled with tan. That nymph skin about nails it. The segmentation is a reddish tan. I would think a larva Lace in that color would do the trick. They're much more colorful than previously thought. No more black ones for me smile.gif

I used latex over the lead. The problem lies in having three pieces of lead on each side. bugeyes.gif You need a damn broomstick to throw this thing.

I used some head cement on the back to hold the color for the back and it filled in the creases so I lost the segmentation on the back. It also needs to be flatter and a little wider. I'm not thrilled with the legs either but will work on it. It's a good start for now and I have a few ideas in the works.