Fly Tying
stony

The Lies of Flies

How many of you were actually duped somehow, be it your own assumptions or the comments of others, into thinking that you would be able to save a mint if you started tying your own flies?

For me I duped myself. All I really wanted to tie was wooly buggers and I figured that $20 would net me about 50 flies. That equates to about $0.40 per fly. Oh yeah, I would be so way ahead. Who would've ever though that I would want to tie more than just wooly buggers?

I got into it because I didn't like the idea of paying for fllies and then have them not meet my expectations. Now at least I have no one to blame but myself, and I can deal with that much easier.

I got into it for similar reasons to Twofingerz. I got tired of not finding exactly what I wanted in the fly shop, whether it was style of fly, color of fly or whatever.

That's funny. Pretty much the same thing here. I could never find black/black wooly buggers in any size. You can find jillions of flies that don't work around here but the ones you need are always MIA.

I started when I was about 8 or 10 helping my dad tie leadheaded crappie and stripe flies. I had been doing that for about 10 years before I started using the fly rod. Then I had a fly shop that I used to buy all my Flies from. Then one day I asked him to tye a custom pattern for me to use on Bass. When I told him what I wanted and the materials and colors I wanted, well he told me that it was a outright stupid Idea. That day I went out and purchased 3 books on fly tying and 3 days later started getting the materials I needed. I never went to that shop again. That was about 28 years ago, thats how I started.

Jeff

I know I could dive in very, very deeply (and into debt!) if I just let my passion go. Since I write and illustrate, too, I have been able to keep my interest at the vice in balance, from becoming obsession.

I tie only a half dozen patterns or so -- a few nypmhs, a few wets, one or two of the simplest dries, and that's it, so far.

The best way to keep solvent and yet still tie is to limit the range of materials with which you work. I use only pheasant tail, Hungarian partridge, deer hair, wool yarn, floss, and thread, so far.

:)

fine art fly pattern illustrations for your viewing pleasure at: http://www.ronpswegman.com

I have considered tying for money.From what I hear tying 30 dozen of one fly can become boring though.

I started tying a wooly bugger and now I tie over 100 or so patterns.For myself of coarse.

I truly feel that Fly Tying is the art of flyfishing! It allows me to express myself, be creative, and it is my release.

If I was to count up how much money I have spent over the years I would own a couple of those rods I have been dying to purchase not to mention having my car paid off ;)

it also affords me a creative outlet. ron p. you write and illustrate as well as tie so you know what I mean. I have had other outlets in the past that aforded me that opportunity always as hobbies. now I can be creative and have a usefull end product as well.

I suppose the idea of tying my own being cheaper entered my mind, but in the long run tying looked like it might be a fun thing to do. and now 6 months into it I can say thtat I do enjoy it.

I got into tying because I was told it would make it me a more aware angler. I think it did that, by helping me better understand how flies work in and on the water. (Tying probably makes you a more informed consumer for the flies you buy, as well.)

Saving money, at least on the simplest flies, was a small side benefit--but probably an illusory one given how much I've spent on materials and tools. That said, I'm more likely to fish a fly aggressively (such as ticking a nymph right on the bottom) if I've tied it than if I've bought it (even if the time and effort amount to more than the price in a store!).

Tying is now a key part of fishing for me. I tie most of the flies I use, and like customizing flies to season, place and conditions--and experimenting with new techniques and patterns.

Actualy I took up fly tying before fly fishing.

But I did get fooled in to trying to make money rather than save it, I tied some flies for a employe of gander mountain who is the head of the fly tying at that store, And he never paid me. I have been trying to get him to pay me for almost a year, On July 5th it will be exactly one year since I gave them to him, But it is hard because we had no agreement in writing.

I tied flies the day I learned to fly fish at a camp. We tied bully spiders and a bass popper. I was hooked! I also have an easier time spending money on materials to make things than buying ready made things.

I can't decide on which I've SAVED :hyst: more money- tying my own flies or handloading my own ammo... :hyst:

"But Honey, I can load 350 rounds of 9mm for the same cost as buying a box of 50!" :hyst: :hyst:

No one told me that I would save money tying my own flies. The satisfaction I get is that they are tied right. Back in the sixties you got your flies from places that bought flies from lord knows where. When I go into the shop and see a fly I like I come home and tie one on. :hyst: