Fly Tying
stony

The Lies of Flies

Of course you'll wind up saving money !

By my calculations, if I stop buying additional materials now, I'll break

even and be into black by the time I reach the age of 115 !

I probably have in boxes right now about 2000 flies. I also lose about 200-400 flies a year while fishing. It does not bother me to fish a brush pile or lose that dry fly to a low branch 5 times (I take fly risks) if I want to catch that fish.

I also give a lot of flies away to friends (I enjoy tying). At the store price of $1.95 -$3.25 (bass bugs), I would have spent $6,000-7,000 on flies over the past 8 years.

Instead I have about $1,000 tied up in materials, some materials I am always buying every year (herl, thread, hooks, cones, pheasant tail, wires); most other materials one pack lasts about 4-6 years. I have about $300 in a vise and tools.

Yes, I'm cheap, only buy on sale or discounts and even share material packets with friends. And Yes, I have saved thousands of dollars by tying my own flies

I really have.

Conehead

I had a fly shop that I used to buy all my Flies from. Then one day I asked him to tye a custom pattern for me to use on Bass. When I told him what I wanted and the materials and colors I wanted, well he told me that it was a outright stupid Idea. That day I went out and purchased 3 books on fly tying and 3 days later started getting the materials I needed. I never went to that shop again.

I just have to ask... what was the fly the shop owner called stupid? Did it ever catch a fish for you??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Joe C.

i tie fully dressed atlantics, classics and artistic flies, save money? no way. my wife had some idea of what i've spent, she said i should have spent that much on her also. so i went and bought her a crysler 300 limited to quite her and figured i got off real cheap.

unless i could possibly sneak into the san diago zoo under the cloak of darkness and get into the bird exhibit i will never save any money tying these flies.

i began tying because someone told me i couldn't tie these flies. i wish i'd meet him again to punch him in the nose for the money he cost me with his wise crack.

Bud

i tie fully dressed atlantics, classics and artistic flies, save money? no way. my wife had some idea of what i've spent, she said i should have spent that much on her also. so i went and bought her a crysler 300 limited to quite her and figured i got off real cheap.

unless i could possibly sneak into the san diago zoo under the cloak of darkness and get into the bird exhibit i will never save any money tying these flies.

i began tying because someone told me i couldn't tie these flies. i wish i'd meet him again to punch him in the nose for the money he cost me with his wise crack.

Bud

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

I didn't start tying cuz I thought it would save money; I satrted because it looked interesting. After about a year, I realized just how expensive this hobby(?) can be. BUT - How much is a set of good golf clubs, greens fees, club memberships, etc. As with any hobby/sport you can invest as much time and money as you want; it's up to you.

I think the time and money I've put into tying over the past years has more than paid off. And my second wife would agree.

How much is a set of good golf clubs, greens fees, club memberships, etc.

Chase Creek raises a good point.

I gave up golf for various reasons, one of which is how expensive it can be.

The last straw for me was being hurried around the course by rangers interested in

maximizing thoughput (I'm NOT a slow player either).

With fishing, for the price of a license you can go where you want, when you want

and spend as much or as little time as you want.

I can't speak for other states or countries, but here in Pa I get a years license and

trout/salmon stamp for the approximate cost of 1 cheap municipal 18 hole green fee !

i got into tying because i wanted to gain more knowledge about the whole deal.

i knew i wouldnt be saving money.

i tie better than anything available on a Meijers or Wal-Mart shelf..................and im new to this game.

im only limited by imagination.

ive found a lot of history along the way.

flytying is a lot like life. take your time, build a good foundation, dont rush anything, dont settle for just okay, be patient, be tolerant, and things will be good for you!

camoham