Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Dyeing Mallard Flanks

Roy was gracious enough to PM me this very good tip! I will post it just as he sent it to me! Thanks, Roy!

Hi, BDH,

I posted this as part of a response on the FlyFisherman board...

might be a useful tip

I couldn't post it as the facility is disabled.

I dyed some mallard flank golden olive last week.

Preparation as follows....

Remove from each feather the fluff from the base of the stalk.

This may seem excessive, but I thought how quickly a dye bath gives up its colour, and decided I could get a few extras out of it ..

I now have flank feathers, that I can use straight from the pack, the mess is already in the bin. They dried out really quickly too.

regards,

Roy Christie

Don't know what Roy used, BC...but I have used Rit fabris dye for feathers and it does a nice job...even the black...you may have to double the amount of dye for darker colors, but it's a cheap and easy way to dye feathers...maybe Roy can give us some more insight into the dyes he uses....Commercial powder dyes seem to work best, but can be expensive $$$$!

Jim Hester used to have some really nice commercial dyes...He could definately give you some more information if you decide to go that route!

The dyes I've found to work on mallard breast is veniards,dylon(fabric),turmeric and onion skins.The last one results in a woodduck sub but thanks to Greyson I don't need it at the moment.

Ashley

I wasn't sure if the Rit Dyes could be used or not, or whether only natural dyes had to be used.

I have no plans on doing this commerically, I am lucky to tie two flies a night. I always try for one. But I would rather spend two days tying one fly than I would to go out and buy one. wink.gif

QUOTE (Bear Coat @ Mar 23 2004, 03:00 PM)
I was wondering what kind of dyes are used for feathers?

BearCoat,

you can experiment with anything, I get excellent results with Dylon, especially Golden Glow #2 all purpose dye from Woolies.

Ensure all materials are degreased (I use washing up liquid), then rinse fully

Mix dye according to manufacturer, - you can go a bit more concentrated for strong colour-

Keep the pan just below simmer,

Immerse a test feather for a few seconds to see how it takes the dye

Immerse the materials for anything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes, depending on the reaction from the test

When the colour is JUST darker than you want (darker when wet) take out the materials and dip them in a weak solution of vinegar & water in another pan

Now run under a cold tap - the materials that is - I didn't mean stand under it!

Ensure all materials are fully rinsed and lay them on newspaper to dry

Store in a sealed bag.

Materials which I have found to give great results are

Golden & ringneck pheasant tails,

Mallard flank

Mottled ginger cock capes

G P tippet

Squirrel

Rabbit

Have fun

Roy

Thank you Roy,

I am saving this and putting it in my Notebook. I have plenty of feathers and do have access to some more. But since the nearest Fly Shop is over 50 miles from me, I would hate to spend more on gas than the cost of the predyed feathers. Also I can control what colors I do want. wink.gif

Sign in to follow this