Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Unidentified Nymph Shucks

I found these shucks on the rocks of the stream when I was fishing today. Very interesting markings. I noticed that they only have two tails, which I think narrows the choices. I'd appreciate any help identifying them.

Edit - Oh, the majority of the shucks were under an inch in length, but I found a few that were close to two inches in length.

I've got a guess on their identity, but it's only a guess... ;)

post-4573-1183424113_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1183424141_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1183424182_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1183424211_thumb.jpg

Ray-

My guess would be Acroneuria, perhaps A. abnormis, somewhat confusingly referred to as the Common Stone.

Thank you, Taxom. I did a little searching to see a picture of golden stone flies and I agree with you. You rock!!! :punk: :D

Oh, by the way, my guess was completely wrong. :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Ray, from your pictures you can see why patterns such as the Kaufmann Stonefly (with it's segmented back, forked tail, and three part wing case) are such a great representation of the natural.

Roger is most likely correct on the large exuviae, even to species! The small ones I bet are a species of Isoperla, perhaps transmarina.

Cheers, Ethan

Well Ethan, you know what they say. Given sufficient time, even a monkey will accidentally make a correct insect identification. There must be something similar happening here. Thanks for the verification. I appreciate it.