Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sheepie

Longivety of Dragon Flies

So there seem to be a great number of very knowledgeable folks here and maybe I can get some information on this topic. A search on the internet is inconclusive on this one. The life span of an adult Dragon Fly differs with the site visited, can anyone tell me the average for the adult Dragon Fly to swoop and catch it's buggy dinners and just be admired for the amazing thing it is?

sheepie-

I suspect your question relates to the duration of a dragonfly's terrestrial lifestage, sometimes referred to as its flight period, which can vary from several weeks to several months, depending on the species in question.

However, the full duration of dragonfly's life can vary from less than one year to as long as four years, once again, primarily dependent on the species in question, but also amended by extreme environmental factors, mostly relating to water temperature during the larval (nymphal) lifestage.

Incidentally, the name is actually dragonfly, as only with members of order Diptera (true flies) is there a space before fly in the name. In other words, it is mayfly, caddisfly, stonefly, damselfly, alderfly, etc., but a crane fly and a waternymph fly are dipterans, and have a space before fly in their names.