Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Compton

PMD Zelon Emerger

Very nice pattern I’m sure it’s deadly.

I see in the database that you specify a Grip hook by Scientific Fly with is a South African company, what do you think of their hooks?

GPB,

I think the Grip Hooks from ScientificFly of South Africa are superb. The standard barbed, barbless, bass, saltwater, and carp ranges of hooks are of the highest quality.

http://scientificfly.com/

The bronze, black, and black nickel finishes are beautiful; and the hook designs themselves are excellent.

The barbless range is really interesting. These Grip Barbless Hooks have longer points, and therefore, sharper points, and hold fish better.

http://scientificfly.com/show_prod.php?pro...&category=2

(GPB...didn't forget that scan, I'll get it off ASAP)

Here a re a few of my favorite models:

14723BL

IPB Image

11011BL

IPB Image

11801BL

IPB Image

11013BL

IPB Image

IPB Image

53584BN

IPB Image

I’m glad you are happy with one of our local products, there are some others that we do like Shilton Fly Reels that are starting to get international recognition.

What you’ll notice on some of the Grip hooks (especially the 2xH scud hooks) is that the eyes tend to be a little larger on most other brands.

I suspect that part of the reason for this is that some of the indigenous fish here in South Africa often take very small flies but they are big fish that are extremely strong fighters, you need to be able to fish 2-3X tippet on size 16 – 18 scud hooks at times.

No worries about the scan, thanks again Kevin

I was given a few samples of the 14273 in 14s and in 35yers of tying I'd have to think very hard indeed to remember a hook with stronger wire for its size, "you could tow a house with one" is a comment I heard by a user at last years flyfair.