Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

United States Fly Dye Manufacturer

We seem to have a large number of members who dye their own materials- or, a larger number than I have seen elsewhere.

For that reason: whilst thumbing through one of my magazines I came across an advertisement for -

"Fly Dye

Specialty Hair and Feather Dyes

for Trout & Salmon Flies, Jigs & Lures

Write or call for price list and instruction sheet.

All problems on dyeing answered free to our customers.

P.O. Box 14258

E. Providence, RI 02914

Telephone: (401) 434-3300"

http://www.organicdye.com

Now- I've dyed using Veniard's and a bunch of other stuff. Veniard's is the best I've ever used, but as any of you would agree, I'm sure, any 'real' dye is a bit expensive. This stuff is too, 'cuz I've looked at the site, but in the realm of cost effectiveness versus screwing around trying to get "what we can", in some cases, it might be worth the time to look and consider.

I know I will consider these products, at a minimum.

Dave,

When I get to Erie I might get myself a small order together and test this stuff. I will keep you posted on how well it works.

I just got done using this dye a couple days ago did a couple artic fox tails and rabbit pelts and 1 grizzly neck olive and some chartuese easy stuff to work with and nice colors only took about 1/2 an hour will probaly order more colors for next winter but with the ice just breaking up I'm just itching to get fishing I guess you all know that feeling pretty good. Joel

Joel,

how did the dyes "cover"...? Is it a nice stain or did the colors dye kinda dull? Just curious as to the gloss quality of the colors after drying...can you offer a little more info? Much appreciated!

Big Daddy, Sorry taking so long to reply but was busy with health issues, The chartruese came out bright and shiny but not as plesed with the olive a bit dull but still useable I'm still pretty new at this and have much to learn. Speaking of learning I'm from Canada and didn't know they had steelhead in Alabama.Joel

Bob Gaston, a flytyer at Bennett Spring Missouri ,had an article in the August 1981 issue of Flytyer Magazine on dyeing materials. Bob said the trick is to use hair conditioner after the dying to replace the original oils in the feathers and furs. Bob got his idea from his previous profession as a barber. I've never tried it but it makes sense.

Dave

Sign in to follow this