Fly Tying
Terry Chapman

eye irritation tying?

I believe I am getting eye irritation from the fly head cements even though I use a water based one.

Is there a good product or type that will let me keep the lid on and easily apply cement with little

time lost?

I too use a water based cement,and was surprized to find out just how noxious the odors/fumes from this stuff can be!! The only thing I could recommend would be the head-cement reservior by Dyna-King. It has a rubber o-ring in the handle,and as I understand the ads, does not have to be screwed closed between applications. I used to use the little applicator bottles with the "needle' type applicator,but I was forever cleaning out the clogged needles!! BTW...the applicator from DK is pricey ( about $40.00 last time I looked) You might try to ventilate your tying area a little better,or if this is impractical put a small fan somewhere in the room,to keep fumes from gathering around your head.

Sulphernut

I have the reservoir but it has it's own problems. Like when I pull the needle out of the holder it gets a big drop of glue on the end. So you wipe it on the side and then get mess on the "o" ring that keeps it tight. The good nres is that you won't knock it over easily.

I either leave the cement off now or go with a "real" shellac. The fumes don't bother me and I get good penetration due to the viscosity. It's cheap too. A life time supply for five bucks. I think I got it at Sears hardware?

T

Gentlemen,

May I be so bold as to make a few suggestions :-

1) Skip the cement and whip finish twice

If you still insist on using cement,

2) Tie all flies up front and apply cement/varnish/lacquer later. Lacquering could

be done outside or in better ventilated area. (A strip of cork is good for this, push

the cork onto the hook point before unloading the fly from the vise - then all flies are 'lined up')

3) If you feel your eyelids beginning to bond to your eyeballs - bail immediately !

Gentlemen,

May I be so bold as to make a few suggestions :-

1) Skip the cement and whip finish twice

If you still insist on using cement,

2) Tie all flies up front and apply cement/varnish/lacquer later. Lacquering could

be done outside or in better ventilated area. (A strip of cork is good for this, push

the cork onto the hook point before unloading the fly from the vise - then all flies are 'lined up')

3) If you feel your eyelids beginning to bond to your eyeballs - bail immediately !

Excellent advice.

use a small fan for better vent.

or do it quickly.

another option, if you have a magnifying light then put ur eyes and nose above the magnifier and look through that while you do it. fumes hit the glass...not your eyes.

What I do if I’m going to be tying allot of flies is to open one of the windows in the room and have a fan at the door blowing air out the room, that we you create a natural flow of air through the room without having the fan blowing are your materials around

call chris helm. whitetail fly tying. he has a head cement by fly right i have been using for two years now and have no problems. it is designed not to irritate or have toxic fumes. great stuff

Hi Terry,

You've already gotten great advise and tying better knots is always a great option; especially if you don't sell flies on a commercial basis.

Terry, I sell a product called Aqua Head that has no odor or fumes. Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a comp. bottle to try. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine