Fly Tying
jared

Hello backing....

yeah, and they make great shark bait. they have a very bloody flesh, stinky, and sharks come from miles around.

... k

yeah, and they make great shark bait. they have a very bloody flesh, stinky, and sharks come from miles around.

... k

'Fraid I can't speak to that...the few that we've kept over the years have either ended up as sashimi or pan-sear -- they are delicious.

However the vast majority that I've caught have all been released.

-j

... i live in montana, and all we have are world class trout waters ... :(

Awsome fish!

perhaps i'm thinking of the wrong fish. i caught something that looked very similar trolling off the FL Keys. i thought it was a bonito. being the type that will try to eat anything once, i took it back to the cleaning station. upon fileting it the meat was like blood red and had a very strong odor. it had been on ice for about 2 hours before we got back. it didn't look or smell very tasty so i threw it back in the cooler and caught two nice bull sharks on it later that night.

i'm going to have to dig up some pictures and figure out what i had.

.. k

I have fished out of Jupiter Inlet FL for false albacore.....the locals call this fish "bonito" but it's the species we in the North East know as false albacore. The very lovely bonito shown above has straight stripes on it's back and when you find your picture you will see that the fish has sort of wiggly marks on the back.

The "bonito" fishing in FL in the summer is great...actually many people down there consider it a nuisance fish since it is as you said fairly inedible. If having 200 yards of backing peeled off your reel at 50 mph is a nuisance, you can annoy me anytime!

HT

Nice albie Jared...I hear the bluefin might be around??? Now that would be something....

Hot Tuna

So I am told.

Was intending to break out the 14wt tomorrow, but am unable to resolve a child

pickup issue. With less fishing time on my hands, going to stick to chasing slower fish in

the Habah tomorrow AM instead.

-J

Coming from someone that rarely uses more than a 4WT for my primary trout fishing, I can't even imagine trying to throw a 14WT. I'm going to struggle just throwing an 8 or 9WT this next week for salmon fishing. :hyst: :blink: :blink:

Mike