Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Small Helgramite?

I found this guy earlier this week while fishing the West Branch of the Ausable River in New York (close to Lake Placid). The fishing was slow that morning so my son and I went bug hunting to see what was availible to the fish. I found this guy lurking in the shallow water near the edge of the stream. It looked like he was also hunting bugs. He got really aggressive when I picked him up. He was not very happy I was trying to take his picture.

EDIT - This guy was roughly 1.25" long and a rich medium brown color. The ones I've pulled out of the Hudson River tend to be closer to 3" long and very dark brown/black.

Let me know if I have mis-identified this guy.

post-4573-1187533028_thumb.jpg post-4573-1187533048_thumb.jpg

did it have pinchers on its head ..kinda hard to tell in the photo....looks like a delicious bug though

how did you guys do on the Ausable up there???one of my favorite spots

Mike :D

yup, dats a hellgrammite

sF-

Only the larval stage of a dobsonfly has acquired a common name of hellgrammite, not the larval stage of a fishfly, even though fishflies belong to the same family as dobsonflies, and look extremely similar to them.

yup, dats a hellgrammite

sF-

Only the larval stage of a dobsonfly has acquired a common name of hellgrammite, not the larval stage of a fishfly, even though fishflies belong to the same family as dobsonflies, and look extremely similar to them.

Yes, i knew that. I mistook the fishfly larvea to be a dobsonfly larvea, my bad.