Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Favorite steelhead patterns

Does anyone have any favorite steelhead patterns? I am going to make an attempt to start tying some up for the upcoming run. I have been trying to tie up some stoneflies...boy are they sad looking sad.gif .

I would appreciate any information on fishing them too as this year wll be my first attempt.

SmalllieHunter...hope you saved some vacation time for the steelies!

I fished the Pennsylvania tribs last December for some chrome and we had some success on "sucker spawn". Not sure how well it works or if anyone uses it in Michigan. Yea I want to get up there this year for some steel but I work for a mail order company and the first of Nov through Christmas is our no vacation period, so if I get a chance it would be after that.

Actually, where do you plan to fish for Steelies???? I only ask this, because what the west coast and the east coast use for winterruns is completely different. I know I've fished the GL's a few times, and first time I brought my travel fly rod and my winterrun flies. MAN, big mistake. I was WAY overgunned. We're using big flies tied up on 1/0-5/0 flies on the Olympic Peninsula. I got there, and my friend had a box of much smaller flies. I can't give you alot of insight on GL's, just what I used when I was there. But can give you insite on the PNW. Too much to list, so will wait and see what you want. LOL

My favorite fly for steelhead is the one that I’m catching fish with at the time.

That question is one I get asked a lot but I can’t answer it.

Sometimes I think the water clarity and Temp effects what the fish are taking and other times I really can’t say why a one fly works better than another, but it seams to change from year to year sometimes even week to week.

I always try to go prepared with a smorgasbord of different sizes colors and patterns and hopefully I have what’s working.

OSD.

Well here in mich for the GL steelies i always do well on egg patterens early in the winter. Then as the winter gos on i switch over to small black stones i like a #14. Very easy to tie just use the standard goose biot split tail/a ribbed (small rib) body /and a dubbed brown thorax(picked out) with turkey case tied over it. To me that is the "go fly" for fall/winter/spring steelies here. Also try small sparrow nymphs......hairs ear...caddis pupa....wooly buggers...ezsta eggs...hex nymph.

Go to the local bookstore or fly shop and pick up a book called great lakes steelhead by bob linesman&steve neveala it has patterens with pics for all GL streams. $20 and worth every penny!

Steeldrifter

PS>>>

If i can help you any father just let me know and i'll give you my email address and we can talk.