Fly Tying
Salmo22

Sculpin Head Streamers

In the most recent issue of Fish & Fly Magazine (Midseason 2007), there is an article about fishing "flashy" streamers for Steelhead. On page 44 is a photo of a fly box (w/steelhead) that shows several colorful streamers. I am very interested in adapting these patterns to smaller sizes for hunting large rainbows and browns in AZ streams/rivers. I really like the flat/wide sculpin-like profile used on the heads of these streamers. Some even include bead-chain eyes.

While I've tied plenty of sculpin patterns using clipped deer hair for the heads, I've never tied sculpins using wool, oppossum, or other types of dubbing as recommended in the article. I could really use some help with finding the correct technique for achieving these flat/wide sculpin-head-styles using various dubbing materials. I think combining this dubbed sculpin-head-style with the flash of the streamer body would be deadly.

Thanks in advance.

tying a clipped wool sculpin head is easy if you already are familiar with tying a deer hair head. You won't spin it as you might a deer hair bunch, you stack it. You don't dub it on your thread, you tie it in exactly as you would a bunch of deer hair. Hold it in place with your fingers, and make a couple loose wraps, then pull them tight. One bunch on the bottom, then one bunch on the top, then another bunch on the bottom, another on the top. Two bunches might be sufficient, or even one, depending on the size. Whip finish as normal, then use a needle or a comb to fluff up the wool, and trim to shape.

post-10077-1189999564_thumb.jpg

I did not know you could do that with wool. That is really cool B)

Do you prefer a certain type/brand of wool for this technique? Also, do you think you could do the same with other dubbing materials (i.e. oppossum, rabbit, etc)?

Thanks.

That is a very nice fly! I know a 25 acre bass lake in West Texas where the black and Florida bass would love it. I used a fly similar to that a few weeks ago and caught and released a bunch.

Ray

Yes, that is one beautiful fly, JSzymczyk!

I use wool on the hide. It's relatively cheap and involves very little waste. There is a product called Sculpin Wool, but that's a bit different and (I think) tougher to get used to.

The method JSzymczyk mentions is the same I generally use. Some tyers take the clump of wool, center it horizontally in front of the eye of the hook, and slide the clump rearward to the tie-in position with the shank centered in the center of the clump. This results in an even amount of wool around the shank at each tie-in position, but it does not compensate for the multi-color head seen on the image above.

I think if there was another natural material that gave the same results, we would have heard about it by now. Keep in mind that wool is not a "dubbing" in this sense. Wool fibers have a "springiness" or resiliency that you won't find in other animal hairs. If you're accustomed to tying spun sculpin heads, this should be easy and fun.

use wool on the hide. It's relatively cheap and involves very little waste.

Where do you all get your wool? Is there a particular brand you favor? I'd appreciate a link to the product if you've got it.

Thanks!

Ray

thanks for the compliments on the fly! I caught a few smallmouths on it this summer in Pennsylvania.

what I've been using is wool from J Stockard. It is NOT on the hide, it comes in sort of almost a giant chunk of yarn, without the twist. Separate out a chunk of the desired thickness, cut it off, and you're good to go.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/N...ulpin-Wool.html

one thing to remember- unlike deer hair, this stuff retains a lot of water. Makes it sink much better than deer hair, but sometimes feels like a sinker tied to your leader.

JS,

Thanks for the info and link. I had looked at that material this morning on Stockard but wasn't sure. I just ordered some and am going to try your fly as soon as it comes in.

Thanks again,

Ray

Where do you all get your wool? Is there a particular brand you favor?

The wool-on-the-hide product I use is sometimes sold as "ram's wool" or "sheep fleece." The quantity I purchased were distributed by Wapsi.

The Sculpin Wool in the above link is the same rope-like product I mentioned. I bought a quantity of this, too, but ended up favoring the previous product. I can't really say one is better than the other, but I felt the "ram's wool" was a bit easier to shape and trim. While both are relatively cheap, the Sculpin Wool hanks are very generous.

When the body of the fly is complete add some hair to the sides of the shank, like a collar. A dubbing loop (of synthetic or natural hair) can be used. If you add dumbbell or bead chain, (try 2 bead eyes per side for wider profile) tie the loop to the rear of the eyes and wrap stroking everything back and to the sides, then figure 8 wrap the dubbing loop around the eyes a few times. Keep stroking all the material in the loop back and to the sides as you wrap. Wrap the loop once or twice in front of the eyes and tie off. Preen the material back and to the sides, trim flat on top and bottom.