Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sore arm

cone vs bead

How does a conehead fish differently then a beadhead? I've always used beadheads on my woolybuggers but picked up some cones for something different. Thanks

Cones weigh more and get you down deeper. I do not know if they give a different action than beads, but I have caught more fish (twice as many) using cones in place of beads.

What can I say, my screen name says it all.

Conehead

PS I still use beads for smaller flies

Conehead says that there are 5,126,397 patterns out there, but remember that there are at least 100,000 versions of the same pattern you pick to tie that evening.

WE REALLY GOT TO GET TYING!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :yahoo:

Cones weigh more and get you down deeper.

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on what type of beads/cones you use. "Plastic, Glass, Medal, Hybrid (tungsten etc...)"

Personally I think the only difference between Cones and Beads are aesthetics and profile.

I do use Cones more for my Bass flies, especially when I am trying to tie weedless flies like a brush hog variant.

Josh

The difference to me seems to be primarily aesthetics. However, for the deep bass and saltwater flies that I tie, the cones seem to glide more easily over obstructions.

John

I may have spoke out of turn; I never weighed the brass cones and compared them to the brass beads. The cones sure look like they have more mass.

Streamcaddis, tried to multiply 5,126,397 by 100,000 and it came out to 5.126397 to the 11th power. I did change my signature, but not to that.

Face it, I am still never gonna make it to work on time.

France, France, France, oh yeah, your from Jersey

Conehead

PS: There is another reason I use this screen name

IPB Image