Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
davidstrout

TUBES.....

I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SOMERSET FLY TYING SYMPOSIUM....

EVEN THOUGH I AM SIX MONTHS BACK LOGGED ON ORDERS (I REALLY SHOULD BE TYING FOR CLIENTS), I HAVE BEEN FEELING CREATIVE LATELY AND WANTING TO TIE FOR PEOPLE I MEET AT SOMERSET.

FOR YOUR VIEWING...(SORRY ABOUT THE POOR PHOTOGRAPHY...TOUGH LIGHT TODAY)

A LARGE SQUID AS WELL AS A GIANT SPEY..... BOTH ARE 8-9 INCHES

BUD...THE GIANT SPEY IS FOR YOU...

WILLOW...IF U ARE @ THE SHOW THE SQUID IS FOR U...

HOPE Y'ALL LIKE

DAVID

post-4355-1192228264_thumb.jpg

post-4355-1192228321_thumb.jpg

post-4355-1192228337_thumb.jpg

post-4355-1192228353_thumb.jpg

post-4355-1192228371_thumb.jpg

Man, I wish I were going to Sommerset for the show. I am a big fan you your tube flies, Dave!

Your work is an 11 on the style charts!!!

:thumbup: Have fun at the show!

Man, I wish I were going to Sommerset for the show. I am a big fan you your tube flies, Dave!

Your work is an 11 on the style charts!!!

:thumbup: Have fun at the show!

Agreed, would love to go and be able to meet minds like Bud, and David here.. When I saw the previous flies posted to these by David, just made me go wow... Fantastic work, wish I was able to see these fellows first-hand. Thanks for sharing..

WOW!!! NICE!

Have a great time at the show.

Wish I could be there this year. One of these years I'll make the journey. One day.

Cheers.

Damian.

WOW! David, those flies are incredably cool. Just beautiful.........they have so much artistic appeal and yet, just look like KILLER fish catchers at the same time. That's a hell of an accomplishment. I'm very flattered that you have one with my name on it. I'll bring you something as well. A straight-up swap is always the best way to go between fellow tyers. Thankx for thinkin' of me. mark..... B)

Wowh

That fly is so nice. I am sure that the Norwegian Salmon will be very intersted in that one ;) . I think you have been using sadle hackles as squid arms. But what have you been using as hackle on the body and in front?

I just have to try to tye one my self.

Thanks for the nice words y'all...

The large prawn:for the body/front hackle I amusing some old/vintage ostrich feathers stripped of the stem but attched to the rascis in a long 8 inch strip.....as one would use rhea. Vintage (and some new) ostric has very little "fluff" and makes for nice long fibred hackles (4 inches plus)

The squid : afore mentioned ostrich for the body with some koolaid dyed albino peacok @ the front (clump tied in asst colors)

all the best everyone!

David,

Will you be attending the November 10 & 11, 2007 Arts of the Angler Show in Danbury, CT?

http://www.cffcm.net/pdf/CFFCM-2007ArtsOfAnglingInfo.pdf

Contact Jim Krul, Director of Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum and you should easily qualify for a tyers table.

http://www.cffcm.net/director.htm

I would really like to see your tube flys and discuss some of the patterns you have developed.

Regards,

FK

Hi FK, my wife and i will be there tyin' at the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild table both days. Drop by and say hi. mark..... B)

Willowhead,

Thanks for the heads up, I will be attending both days as a visitor, really enjoy discussing tying with the experts.

Regards,

FK

thanks fk...

I will be @ the danbury show tying both days as well as @ the international....

I look forward to meeting u (and many others)

all the best

FK, the last thing in the world i ever wanna be is an expert. I've only tyed since '93 and still consider myself nothin' but a rank intermediate tyer. FUN, is what i'm after..........FUN, FUN, and MO FUN.....then some BIG FUN! It's the learning that is the best as well.........always learning more and more and more........i think once we find ourselves a bit of a nich, we can get really good at "something" but still always trying to learn new things and new ways is so great. My advise is to learn about all facets of fly tying. Trout flies, Bass flies, Saltwater flies, Steelhead and Salmon flies, etc., etc., etc......that'll help you a LOT and broaden your knowledge of materials and techniques. Tye everything for a few years.....that's what i did for the first 10 years or more. And buy every single video and DVD you can get your hands on.....and spend as much time in front of other tyers as you POSSIBLY can........i mean to the extent of having to make family sacrifices if you have to. DO IT! I've spent prolly somewhere round 70 to well over 100 days a year in front of other tyers EVERY year for the last 13 years. I'll go anywhere to see/watch someone tye. You can learn a LOT doin' that. See ya in Danbury and or Somerset. mark..... B)

David, WOW! whata BIG FUN weekend we had. Was GREAT! meetin' you Bro. You DA MAIN!!!!! Hope my funky flies we're adaquate as a swap for that piece of art you gave me. Your flies litterally BLEW me AWAY. You got some GREAT, TOTALLY UNIQUE **** goin' on Bro. YOU, aint GREAT, i aint GREAT, NO man is GREAT............but what you got goin' on IS great, cause what's commin' thru you, (and i KNOW, you "Know" what i mean), is the ONLY thing that IS GREAT. You know what the message is Bro. And that makes me happy. Let's us hope they all finally decide to listen someday............dig? mark..... p.s. BIG TIME good luck with the Bistro..... ;) see ya in Somerset.....