Fly Tying
Mokai

Camera Upgrade

After having my first DSLR for a year now (D40)..And now that the new and great Nikon D300 will be out next month, I felt it was time for an up-grade..

I pre-ordered a D300 and it will be shipped to me as soon as they come in from Nikon..I have heard nothing but good things about this new camera and feel it will be a nice upgrade to my camera gear arsenal..

Anyway just thought I would share the news with you folks..I am pretty stoked :) ..

Congratulations Mokai!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been struggling to decide if I should do the same thing and pre-order a D300, which will be a GREAT wildlife camera. I'm really excited for you, this is great news!

Cheers,

Graham

Congradulation Mokai. I bet you look forward everyday to see what is in the mailbox.

I have been thinking about upgrading my Pentax ist* dl to either a k100d or the brand new k10d. The k100d is still the 6.1 megapixel but it has shake reduction (which I would benefit from greatly) and the k10d is 10 megapixels with the shake reduction also.

Hope you enjoy your new toy when it arrives.

Jim

Best of luck with your purchase Andrew. The D300 sounds like a real winner. There's nothing like a new camera to bring back that feeling of being a kid on Christmas morning. I've had mine for six months and I still get excited every time I pick it up.

I would highly recommend buying a Thom Hogan D300 e-book when it comes out. Without this book, and the accompanying other files, which can be uploaded into the camera, including Thoms suggested menu custom and shooting menu settings, I never would have fully grasped my cameras potential.

I hope to eventually own a D300 as well. The live view is nice, but having so many more focus sensors, including cross-type would be awesome. My camera only has one cross type and I notice that it is much more reliable and accurate than the other focus sensors. I bet the write speed from the buffer onto the memory card will be much faster and enable taking advantage of the newer high speed cards. My buffer clogs up pretty fast and I've missed some potentialy nice action shots because of this, happened yesterday while shooting the ospreys.

I dream about having a D300.

Graham

Thanks Guys..I didnt really want to spend that kind of money but it worked out..

Graham, I too am looking forwards to the 51 point auto focus ..My D40 has 3 points..It is very difficult to focus on birds in flight with my D40..But I get a good one now and again..

Mokai, I have my "action" shooting menu programed so that I can lock focus with the center focus point then, and if the background is uncluttered, move my lens to the side, and the subject stays in focus. I think it's the predictive tracking option.

WTG!! Looking forward to seeing images and immpressions off the new cam:)))

I,ve been thinking about a second cam body or maybe a lens/approach dedicated new and using my current as a secodary.

My primary focus is macro and landscape with a D200.

I find when I go out I either take my 12-24 or 105 macro , or I take my 300 f2.8 for long lens landscape work. What woud be nice is a second body so I have a body dedicated to the 300 f 2.8.

I just picked up a TC-301- 2x converter for the 300- so it can be a 600 f5.6 if need be.

Not sure why but I seem to have a separation betwen the macro/wide and the long lens work, so a discreet rig would be handy. Leave one at home , without shuffling gear before heading out. Hence the desire/percieved need for a second body. It would probably be hooked to the 300/TC-301 /600 mm with the d300 so ...

I,m curious on your take versus picking up a second d200 body.

The long lens stuff is,nt wildlife orientated, but landscape orientated as perverse as that may seem:)))

Will

I'm a Canon fan, and have too many lenses to sacrifice changing brands. The D300 should be a pretty sweet camera. I'm either going to wait, and get a full frame (5Dmk2?), or wait another half year (for the bugs to be fixed) for the 40D.