Fly Tying
Juho_

The Ancient Oak Fly

Hey, as i promised i made a fly, whitch i photographed allmost step-by-step. :)

The fly is for fishing and I didn't do anything extra on the fly.. Just a pure fishing fly, with Classic measures..

IPB Image

Start the fly from the tag and the tail.

IPB Image

The Floss you need..

IPB Image

First, take a stump from the red spool. Take a good grip of it and start scratching the floss.

IPB Image

After a few draw the floss starts to spread from the end. Keep scratching..

IPB Image

Let the draw's go all the way to the end of the stump, so the flossdubbing starts to build up between your right hand fingers.

This step, you put the dubbing to the table and silverize the underbody. :)

IPB Image

Now you get to the dubbing step. Just twist the dubbing to the line and..

IPB Image

..start dubbing.. ;)

IPB Image

End the first section now and start scratching the other (wine-)floss..

IPB Image

Second section silverized and ready for dubbing..

IPB Image

Second section finished and started scratching the third (black) floss..

IPB Image

Third section finished and ready for the ribbing..

IPB Image

First we brush the body..

IPB Image

..then the ribbing!

IPB Image

Then we just brush the flossdubbing under the body and cut it to the right shape.

IPB Image

Hackle tightly locked..

IPB Image

..and rotated..

IPB Image

Then we look for good brown and spotty wing material, like oak turkey.. ;) Try to get the darkside in front and the lightside to the back of the fly.. (The fly looks more sporty when the fairness-stage is clear..)

IPB Image

Ending knot done and head semented three times..

Then a black-sement level and the final clear sement-level..

IPB Image

And then in my calculations the fly should be completed..? :blink: :)

I hope you'll like this and this helped even some of you..

Best Regards

Juho Kupsala

That fly may just be for fishing, but its really neat and very nicely done. I think its a beauty. Thanks for the tutorial.

Ray

Thank you very much Juho. It is very generous of you to share your special tying techniques. Thankx again. mark..... ;)

Very good SBS Juho. What is used for the tail? If I can find a salmon hook in my mees of hooks I'll try to tie this pattern.

Thanks for sharing.

Later...

Hey all!

Letumgo: Thanks! It is just a shame that most of the pic's are over bright..

RDL: Thanks and no problem.. :D

Philip: No problem..

Stainar: Thanks! Hopefully yeah.. Next summer on Saltdalselva.. :blink:

Harold: Thank you! Neat but still kinda thick..? Hopefully fishy too.. :)

Mark: No problem.. and these technigues aren't special or secret.. ;)

Sully: Thanks! The tail is just three normal crest's.. I am happy that this fly made you a "have to tie" feeling.. :)

Thanks for everyone! See ya!

-Juho-

Juho, I would like to try this pattern but have run into a material problem. I've never tied a classic salmon pattern, any pattern. I checked my hook supply and I have no salmon hooks. I also don't have any crest feathers. I don't want to start expanding my tying materials just yet!!! Here is my proposal for anyone who can help me. I could use 1 salmon hook and 3 crest feathers(for the fly tail). I have all the other materials... If someone wanted to donate the hook and crest feathers I could send that individual some Mustad hooks(I have caddis, dry, nymph/streamer) in return, or maybe something else.

If someone can help just holler and we can do a PM.

BTW...Maybe someone State side?

Thanks.

SullyTM

Hi!

Sully: Darn, that's a shame.. If you really want to tie this pattern, you should ask some material help from the tiers who lives near you.. :) ..I am sure that someone will help you out! Or then just tie this fly into a #4 streamer hook (if you have?) and use something yellow for the tail.. (Cock?)

But the best option which i would recommend is to buy your own materials.. You will use them all for sure, trust me.. :D

(Take a look to the mistpool website where i order my stuff.. http://mistpool.com/ )

A list things which i recommend you to order:

http://mistpool.com/product_info.php?cPath...products_id=584

http://mistpool.com/product_info.php?cPath...;products_id=66

http://mistpool.com/product_info.php?cPath...products_id=249

Think about it.. :)

John: Thank you! Thats good to hear! But when you do flossdubbing body, dub the body bigger than normal.. It will shrink more than seal when brushing.. And depending your hook size, leave the flossdubbing long enough..

Best Regards

Juho Kupsala

Juho...After a few more trips to the local pond to pick up recycling, I'll have some fly material $$. Where there's a will, there's a way ;)

I'll post a photo of my attempt.

Later...

Juho

I just discovered this Step-by-Step. I like the fly very much and was surprised to see how you used floss to simulate dubbing. I have a question about the tail. Did you tye in one short, one medium and one long crest to get that effect? Or was it just a happy accident?

Juho

I just discovered this Step-by-Step. I like the fly very much and was surprised to see how you used floss to simulate dubbing. I have a question about the tail. Did you tye in one short, one medium and one long crest to get that effect? Or was it just a happy accident?

Hi and thanks!

No, the tail is tied from three same length crests, picked up from the same spot at the same time.. Then just "slide" the crests in your hands to this shape and tie on.. Easy as that! :D If there are some no-needed hair on the sides, just pick them off with your hackle pliers.. ;) After a few tries you become a master.. :blink:

-Juho-