Fly Tying
gespliesste

some like it, some hate it

the Nor-Vise, I never read so different opinions about a product. I have tow questions about this vies, first is it really that difficult to tie small flees on it ? And second, if I would buy a Dyna King Barracude with a bobbin hanger and the automatic Nor bobbin, could I do with this set up not exactly the same thinks like the Nor -Vies can do like the fast dubbing or ribbing Norlander shows on his videos? If yes what makes it so unike to other true rotation vises only the look?

Thanks Olaf

My wife loves her Nor-Vise. I have no opinion on the vise as she won't let me use it. Seems like a fair trade, she doesn't use my Snowbee-Waldron vise either.

Back to your questions. She regularly ties flies down to size 22 on the Nor-Vise. Not sure if that is small enough to classify as small or not. Second, the Nor-vise is the only vise I have ever seen that spins, not just turns. So for dubbing the thread the way Norm does, probably not. Spinning on hackle and ribbing takes practice, so I don't imagine too many tiers are doing that.

Your right about opinions on the vise though. People either love it or hate it, very few in the middle ground.

REE

After more than 15 years, I still love my Nor-Vise. This fall, I replaced the old jaws with new cam lock jaws, and picked up a new bobbin kit. The only thing I didn't like about the old jaws was the dual adjustment screws. I also have a DynaKing Sidewinder, which is rotary, but doesn't spin. I tie down to size 20 on the Nor-Vise, and I do use the rotary feature to palmer hackle and ribbing on everything from Griffith Gnats to wooly buggers. Spinning dubbing is a snap.

I tied on a Nor-Vise for about 2 years and I and gave up on it 4 months ago. I had three issues with it, first it is not easily portable. You either have to mount it on a large board or mount it directly on your desk. Second, the jaws suck. Any set of jaws that require a rubber band to function are poorly designed and are a catastrophe waiting to happen. Finally, the brass hubs tarnish after a couple of months and look like hell. The vaunted spinning feature is a myth, I rarely (if ever) used it. You can do essentially the same thing with any rotary vise.

The automatic bobbin though, is great!

Hi,

I have tied on the Nor-vise, Barracuda, and Stenzil. Each of the vises have good qualities. The Nor-vise can do all the video says, but the jaws do have problems with small flies, and I found that the space between the jaws and turning drum are short, hence you have to use shorter pcs of ribbing.

The Barracuda is quite good, but I tie so many flies and the jaws seem to be delicate, so I had midges jaws grooved for smaller hooks, but the bearing system is second to none. I have tied close to 10,000 flies on it.

The Stenzil has the loop jaw and it holds hooks like no other, but I have found from the jaws to the handle is abit short and it doesnt have the bearing system the barracuda does. I have all three and I probly use my norlander the least.

Having said that 95% of the time I use norlander automatic bobbins and the other 5% I use the eckich bobbin.

hope this helps

kt ;)

That is all very interesting. Does not help the Fine Point Conversion to tie small flies on the nor-vise? Like the midges jaws on other vises. At least most like the norlander automatic bobbins! The eckich bobbin is a different story , some like it some hate it.

Olaf

I tied on a Nor-Vise for about 2 years and I and gave up on it 4 months ago. I had three issues with it, first it is not easily portable. You either have to mount it on a large board or mount it directly on your desk. Second, the jaws suck. Any set of jaws that require a rubber band to function are poorly designed and are a catastrophe waiting to happen. Finally, the brass hubs tarnish after a couple of months and look like hell. The vaunted spinning feature is a myth, I rarely (if ever) used it. You can do essentially the same thing with any rotary vise.

The automatic bobbin though, is great!

It appears Norm is working on some of the things you mentioned.. The Rubber band is no longer, The Brass has a protective coating, it will probably just slow the inevitable, though it would only take a few minutes to spin up a shine on it with some metal polish ( I would actually prefer to maintain it)

I think most of the rest of your mentioned issues are more personal preference, I find the board pretty nice, for a mythological feature spinning has sped up my tying immensely :P and no way could any other rotary vise I've tried do what i can do on the Nor-vise..

Have only had a few hours on it so far, and won't have it long but so far it gets a strong thumbs up from me..

Oh, and i find the auto bobbin to be a very annoying little necessity... :hyst: