Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Home Made Rabbit Strip Cutter

Home-made multi-blade strip cutting head.

Parts List:

Paint Stirrers, Craft Sticks, thick Popsicle Sticks or whatever you have, thickness (width) to be determined by you.

Single or Double Edge Razor Blades, multiple X-Acto blades, etc.

Flexible Wire, or

Glue (For those who don't trust their wire-tightening skills) or,

Fine-threaded Pan Head Machine Screw with attendant nut.

Drill

Drill (The CORRECT NAME for a Drill Bit is Drill!)

Wood parts are spacers and handle. Adjust wood widths and thicknesses to suit your needs, so forth and so on. The point of adjusting your wooden pieces dimensions is to make them fit the dimensions of the blades, less the exposed cutting edge, as well as becoming (creating a built-in set of) stops, runners, bearing surfaces, whatever you want to call them- so you don't cut more than the tanned skin, ruining the fur, or slice your hands up in the process.

Marry wood spacers and blade pieces into a multi-blade cutting head. Drill through center holes; bind layers around nose and over top with wire or secure with thru-bolt or glue all parts together. You can snap double-edged razor blades in half lengthwise and use them that way as well.

I've had great success with this homemade set of cutters. Hope the idea works for you.

(P.S. - works on colored felt sheeting, too!)

it's not what "I'm" "up" to....it's what part of ME is "up" to!!!! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

actually...been doing some nice waxworm flies for a local scout troop...really simple to do....surgical glove strip wrapped around a scud hook with a small copper bead head...proved deadly on a local farm pond this week!

I have done countless variations of the pattern. Some with a copper wire ribbing for segmentation....some without, allowing for the palmered latex to "hump up" for it's own fat caterpillar look.....some with red Ultra wire ribbing.....all produce nice gills and the occasional black bass, but the coppper ribbed variation seems better than the Ultra wire version, but is still a second place to the "natural " look of the simpler pattern....I added a little hackle fiber just below the bead on one last night...not quite collared, not quite bearded, but it added a nice leg effect.

I've never been acused of being the sharpest tool in the fly tying box...

Any change you have some pictures of this tool? Sounds interesting!!

Thanks!

Sorry, No Pics. I'm not that technologically advanced. Just imagine a razor-blade Club Sandwich with just enough corner or point exposed to penetrate the skins and make a fine cut while the spacers act as bearings on the skin.

I'm in the process of trying to find somebody who lives around me that can take a picture of both the slicer and a homemade skin stretcher so I can show it here or eslewhere.

Apparently, somebody else has already commercialized these types of things; I never knew it and made my own. You might find some kind of picture in the Internet.

John-

Thanks for the help on this; I like your picture with the "King Gillette" blade used, because it shows the handle with bearing surface, as well as the minimal exposure of the blade edge/corner.

(P.S. - Schick Devotee' here!!! biggrin.gif )

Sign in to follow this