Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

Saltwater guys, let's talk boats!

Longer boats usually ride better than shorter boats for one reason because they have more fiberglass, usually are a bit wider & are heavier. The Sea Chaser is a hull that used to be named _____? which was a popular flats boat & was bought by Carolina Skiff to manufacture with improvements. For towing on flat land a smaller engine might not have problems in overdrive, but any engine for towing shouldn't be going in & out of overdrive with downshifts when towing thru hills or mountains which will ruin a tow vehicle prematurely. There have been a few posts on boating forums discussing Ford F-150's vs Ford 250 diesels & towing the larger bay boats.....those with the F-150's wish they had gotten the 250's B)

By my initial rough calculations a Ford F-150 XLT 2wd with the 5.4, extended cab (not 4 door) and your basic XLT package or a little more should be doable since I get the Ford X-Plan. :headbang:

Have had the same GMC S-15 trucks for towing & the 2 wheel drive was light in the rear end despite having more torque, thus spinning the wheels on some slippery & steep boat ramps. Might be trailering 3000 lbs with all the gear & gas. Have a 4 wheel drive now & never have to worry as there's always a little more traction without calling a tow truck & encountering irate boaters with ramp rage on football afternoons ! B)

The Sea Chaser might be the way to go for you. Sounds like a reasonable draft for a 20 footer and the Sea Chasers have a v bottom that ride a heck of a lot better than the Skiffs which are flat bottomed and will beat the hell out of you even with a very mild chop. I've run Carolina Skiffs before and dread running them in anything other than slick calm. They may draw a little less water than my Whaler, but a couple inches won't make me switch. My ride is comfortable no matter what, unless I happen to bury the nose, but if it's that bad out, I'm wearing foul weather gear...

The good thing about Whalers is they hold their value and quality (if taken care of) much better than most other boats on the market and getting a used one usually isn't any problem. Just as you have to do research and poking around for a new boat, the same goes for a used one. As far as the used market goes, Whalers are usually the cream of the crop and if you get lucky, you can get some incredible deals and then put all that money you would have sunk into a new boat, buying the gear that fits your style. Even after I updated the electronics, fuel capacity, and trolling motor, I still made out like a bandit and used the leftovers to buy several nice saltwater combos and filled in the spaces in my tackle boxes.

Been a while since visiting but thought I'd chime in here. I run a beautiful 1982 Boston Whaler Newport 17 with a 90hp Johnson. I can slide up into about 8" and if I somehow need to get shallower, I stick the trolling motor in the sand and hop out, and only have to do that to reach a hole I can't get into with the boat or to reach Drum pushing in some truely skinny water. For me, it's the ideal setup. I mostly fish inshore in the Chesapeake Bay and coastal NC but do take it offshore from time to time. Had it out to the Gulf Stream a handful of times under ideal conditions and it handles the big water with ease. I'm a boundary pusher and know my limits, but anything other than the right conditions and I don't try to get that far out there. May be a little crazy but not stupid. A 17 footer is pushing it, even if it is a Whaler. I'd rather not test the unsinkability quality way out there. I've seen plenty of nasty water inshore and have taken quite a few waves over the nose, but this thing is a tank. Took the boat down to Ft. Myers and Chokoloskee FL for a while and it proved to be a fine flats boat although I did have to contend with some hull slap, it still fared well. Managed to haul in plenty of Reds, Trout, Pompano, Snook, Jacks, Spannish, and a few Tarpon. Good enough for me.

When it comes down to it, there is no one "all purpose" boat and what works for one angler, might not be the ideal setup for someone else. All I know is I found my ideal boat for the majority of the salty places I fish. Just as I have so many friggin' rod and reel setups, I have a few boats for specific places.

For where you are going and the fishing you'll be doing, I put my vote in for a Whaler of this size. A 20fter will likely keep you from reaching some of the places you might want to fish inshore. Plus you don't have to get a big truck to pull it around, I say that but I drive a Dodge 1500 with the 5.9L...yeah, this gas $$ is killing me...

Before I got the Dodge, I pulled my Whaler all over the place just fine with a V6 Isuzu Rodeo.

Good luck with your search for your ideal boat!!

So you're saying that a 17' boat would do great for the fishing I'll be doing? Smaller boats would be cheaper all around (initial investment and $$ in upkeep). A cheaper boat means more $ for fishing trips and retirement and a home and (in the future) a wife and my kids' education and...

A 21' boat would be really nice but I'm dead set on living within my means. Before I buy a boat I'm going to replace my Jeep and settle into a financial rhythm to see how much I'd be willing to spend. I have a suspicion I'd be strongly leaning on the smaller side if the smaller boats are just as safe as you're saying that Boston Whaler is.

When push comes to shove I'd take a boat I can actually afford over a big badass boat that I can barely pay for any day of the week.

I have a suspicion I'd be strongly leaning on the smaller side if the smaller boats are just as safe as you're saying that Boston Whaler is.

Careful with that idea. Not all boats are made like a Boston Whaler! They are some of the safest boats built, hence my decision to get one that's over 20 years old versus buying new. You might be able to find some newer boats for less than a 20yr old Whaler but you get back to how much is your safety worth. Spend a little bit more on an older Whaler and you'll have one of the best in it's class. Not trying to sound biased, and no, I don't work for Whaler, but I'm hard pressed to think of a better built, safe boat. Granted mine isn't graced with storage all over it like a bass boat, but a creative angler can work with that.

After doing a VERY detailed budget, I've officially found my boat!

A kayak. :lol:

I need to get a few raises and find a roommate here in Savannah before I can realistically think about buying a real boat. I simply can't float saving money, maxing out my 401k, paying my rent, paying off student loans, and buying (and maintaining) a boat. Something has to give and the boat is it.

Moving to a new city where you know absolutely no one is expensive as hell!

I'll have to start checking out kayaks. Sean Juan PMed me a list of some good fishing kayaks. I'll check them out. I CAN afford a pimped-out kayak at least. :headbang:

I'm also thinking of going the car-with-an-aftermarket-roof-rack-for-my-kayak route. It'll be a lot cheaper to own and maintain than a truck!