Fly Tying
Ten Bears

Economy solution to fly tying travel bag.

I was looking to create a travel fly tying bag at a reasonable price. I searched for a couple of months and finally found the Flambeau 4003ST soft tackle bag. It cost only $19.99 and is perfect for a fly tying bag. The dimensions are 12" x 8" x 6" (30.48 x 20.32 x 15.24 cm).

The one listed on the Wal-Mart site and the Flambeau site are green and the ones I've seen in the store are blue like this: (I drew the dry fly on the flap)

IPB Image

The bag comes with 3 4006 Tuff Tainer Boxes. I removed the two in the main compartment and used the one in the front compartment for spools of thread, wire and floss. It will hold approx 46 Danville spools.

IPB Image

When you open up the front zippered compartment you'll find a place for a complete set of tools including bobbin, large and small English hackle pliers, bobbin threader, large and small hair stackers, two pair of scissors, hemostats, Thompson whip finisher, dubbing teaser, bodkin, dubbing loop and a magic marker.

IPB Image

In the right side pocket I have a Wapsi Sow/Scud dubbing box, Zap-a-Gap glue, seven bags of chenille and one bag of 2mm black foam:

IPB Image

In the left side pocket I have Wapsi beaver dubbing box, three bags of hare's mask and squirrel dubbing, dubbing wax and my reading glasses:

IPB Image

Inside the top flap over the main compartment I have my Griffin Odyssey Spider vice with hackle gauge, light reflector and allen wrench:

IPB Image

Inside the main compartment is the bulk of the tying supplies. To maintain an optimal condition to my expensive capes they go on top. Below them are my other feathers then my fur materials on the bottom.

IPB Image

You're wondering where are the hooks, beads, eggs, barbell eyes etc? Right here next to all of the materials. I find this also helps to maintain rigidity of the back side of the bag.

IPB Image

These last two pictures are to give you an idea of just how much this bag will hold. It was too much for one photo. This includes 5 full premium capes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Not bad for a $19.99 bag from Wal-Mart?

This is some GREAT information. I have been looking for a bag to move stuff around and this is going to be the one I get now. Thanks so much for all the great pictures, very helpful.

Thanks for the post Sid. I've outgrown the tool box I've been using, and need a larger travel bag. This looks like an excellent solution. Well done.

Great idea! I use a cheapo laptop computer bag (from Wal Mart, too, BTW) to carry my stuff around.  I don't know if I can get that much in it but I think I can come close.

<P>Great post, particularly the pictures :headbang:

if anyone is going to get one of these bag don't wait to long been to 3 wal-marts and none of them has them talk to one gay today and said he think there not going to handle flambeau soft side any more. but you never how much there employee know when it comes to what they are going to carry or not carry

Hi Ten Bears,

Great post and idea! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

...the squareness of that bag gives you more carrying capacity. Have you ever noticed how similar the soft sided coolers in the 12 can size are to a Fly Hive? Just another idea for the burner...

HT

If you buy it as luggage it's pretty cheap, as soon as the words "tackle" "fishing" "fly tying" are attached it goes up 175%.

For you guys that do shows, check out the inexpensive softsided roller luggage and you'll end up spending about 1/4 of the price and move your stuff on wheels.

Hi Royce,

I'm with you, Gretchen and I use air-line, roller bags for our tying kits and have for years. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

After watching a couple of first class tiers in Idaho last year, I too went with the airline roller bag for my traveling tying kit. Now if I could just remember that roll up thingy they had for holding material. It was the slickest thing I've seen lately, and fairly easy to make, unless you can't quite remember how it worked. Yes, Al and Gretchen, that's a huge hint, seeing as how you were the tiers we saw.

REE and VEE