Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

Redfish and Spotted Trout flies?

I'm brand spanking new to fishing the salt and moved to Savannah, Georgia about 2 weeks ago. Seeing that there is a ton of fantastic trout and redfish in the area, I'd be stupid to not take advantage of it!

What are some good flies for Reds and Trout? My initial guess would be Clousers, Deceivers, and Woolly Buggers (dumbbell eyes on the buggers and clousers to avoid as many oysters as I possibly can). I just read a post saying that epoxied spoon flies work great on the flats.

I know the Clouser, Bendback, Deceiver, E.P.-style streamers, etc... are well renowned in the salt, but I'm really looking for some good shrimp patterns. I'd guess those same style flies tied in Shrimp colors would do the trick, and Bugger style flies look like they'd be a KILLER Shrimp immitation if tied in shrimpy colors.

Learn me some good trout and redfish patterns!

Thanks!

I really effective and simple fly to start is tied with white bucktail and peacock hearl. add some red flasabou for gills and your set. You can tie it bend back also. It is a great and very simple fly.

Seatrout like shrimp and baitfish imitations. Down here in FL, we tend to find the trout holding within grass beds, and flies that you can drop into the grass and pull through tend to work very well. I like bendbacks, and weighted deceivers with weedguards. Whistler flies also work great. If the weather is relatively calm a chartreuse and #1/0 pink gurgler is great.

For redfish, I like similar stuff, but since they also focus on crustaceans, add a few crab imitations to your arsenal. A tan merkin, or chernobyl crab have worked well for me in the past.

Thanks for the tips! So far the only places I've found to bank fish have a lot of rocks and/or oysters, but I've only been fishing twice. I think banks I'll be restricted to those areas though. the thought of slogging through knee-deep mud in the grassy flats doesn't exactly sound like fun to me. Once I get a kayak (planning on that this spring) I'll be able to fish the grassy flats and other areas like that.

I'm gonna have to learn how to tie crab immitations.

What lines do you all like for fishing for Reds and Trout? I think for now I'm gonna be using a 200 grain Teeny line since I'll be bank fishing and I'll need to get it down quicker in the current. My only floating line for my 8wt is a SA Ultra4 Bass Bug Taper. Would that be good for Reds and Trout?

Hey dafack check out customsaltwaterflies.com they are by dan johnson. They are excellent quality and may also give you some pattern ideas to mess with. As far as the SA line that should do you for now I think.

When a Clouser does not seem to be doing it, I use this fly or a variation of it.

I add a weed guard and use only mono plastic eyes instead of lead when I want something for really skinny water for reds.

:P

IPB Image

Hey fred how about a step by step or materials list on that one.

That looks really good to me.

dafacko1, basesed on our other post.....and usin' whatever works........ever think of throwin' a Spey fly for them fish????? Speys are nothin' but Shrimp imitations anyway.........."try it.......you might like it." :D Just tye it on a long shanked saltwater hook. mark..... B)

So far, for Shrimp immitations I'm gonna just do what I do for Crawfish immitations. Something buggy. I've never actually tied a Spey style fly. From the few I've seen though, it seems like you could adapt them easily to look like a crawfish or a shrimp. I might have to try my hand at them sometime.

I'm thinking along the lines of half and halfs (both shrimp and baitfish colors), bunny leeches, bugger style flies, etc...

Crab immitations though... I'm gonna have to look at them more.

Stinky, I posted it a while back. Here's the link....

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...amp;showid=4374

Down here in FL it's paticularly good for reds, but it catches pretty much everything.

:D

Thanks for the fly siesta :headbang:

Got one with it today...should of had two, but I pulled the trigger to quick :wallbash:

IPB Image

IPB Image