Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PoPnBuG

A gripe...

On a different board, I joined a swap. I was far too excited about such a thing for a man of my years. (No, I'm not "old", but I'm no teenager either!!)

I watched the forum in anticipation as folks joined the swap. I tied my flys, and sent them in. I waited, I saw messages of folks sending flies, looking good!

Then, after a certain point, I was curious that the folks that posted didn't reply... at all!! There was no dialog between the swapmeister and any other of the participants except me!

So, it's been over a month since we've seen the guy's last reply, close to 6 weeks now. There's been one other participant that left a message, but no one seems to be concerned.

Now, I'm not concerned about the cost of 12 hooks, or the bucktail I used, or the time I spent.. (well, maybe a little), but at this point I feel duped. ive_been_ripped.gif I sent the guy a postcard last weekend, so we'll see.

Now, I hope the guy hasn't gotten ill, or had personal problems, I can understand that. I can't understand not taking a few minutes to post a message with a little info...

Sorry guys, just needed to vent. It's like running down the stairs to find nothing under the tree, if you get my drift! (If it were coal, I would at least know the guy was THERE!!)

Happy tyin' and fishin'...

I look at it this way, I tie them because I like to do it and when I send them out on a swap it is like playing the lottery. Sometimes you win big and sometimes you lose everything.

I recently joined a couple swaps on this forum and I'm confident that I'll win big. Looks like a lot of great tyers here.

Yeah, I guess I'm mostly disappointed about it, I was looking forward to the "prize".

I suppose there's a lot to be said for watching a board for a while, getting to know the participants, and getting yourself "established" on the board...

Live and learn!!

rolleyes.gif

I can see your point

Nothing against new members, but I carry a certain reluctance to entering a swap hosted by someone not established on a board. It's an easy way to score some flies. mad.gif

I'm not sure of your current situation and if that's the case. I certainly hope not.

It seems that if communication is lost, something's up. Hopefully the meister will respond and you'll get your share.

So far I have been blessed with all of my swaps. All of the flies were top quality and real pieces of art. As a matter of fact, I felt somewhat bad for not spending more time on the ones I submitted. (But they will catch fish wink.gif)

I can feel your pain. I am currently involved with three swaps. Two of which have passed the deadlines. I am confident my flies will be arriving soon, but the thought of getting ripped is in the back of my mind. Losing the flies is not really my concern, it is losing the trust I have in others. One of the sites I have multiple swaps in have the flies go directly through the sponsor. I kind of like that idea. The swapmeister just organizes and answers questions. I am confident your flies will be arriving very soon. Please keep us posted.

As a new member I had some difficulty getting people to join my swap, but with a little persistence I finally had 6 actually had to turn one away because we decided to close it to any new comers anyways, I see your point but one bad experience should not turn you off joining a swap with new people after all isn't this what this is all about tying flies and seeing how people tie there's if we just stuck with people we know where would the excitement be in seeing new material, anyway that is my 2 cents for what it is worth. I agree with the post saying it is like a lottery but in my experience I have won more then I have ever lost. James biggrin.gif

I agree and my comment shouldn't be taken out of context. Sorry if it came across like that.

It just wouldn't surprise me if someone would use a swap as a scam and keep the flies. No reference to anyone cool.gif

I've only been part of one swap where I felt like I'd never see the flies. There was good communication up front and then everything went silent. 3 months later, everyone got their flies. Far and away, I think most swappers and swapmeisters are honest and do their best to hold up their end.

Having been bitten before, I worry far more about the Post Office losing the flies.

Hope things work out.

-Bamboo

That sucks bud sorry to hear that....but on the good side we have many swaps here on this site and the membership here is a pretty close knit group of guys/gals so any swaps here will be a much better experiance for you smile.gif