Fly Tying
Will Milne

Pattern photography

Been playing around with some simple flash setups for pattern photography. Not totally there yet , I,m trying to get a nice "product" style look and get away from the "side-on" look , any suggestions welcome

excuse the tying , a couple from the fishing flies box to play with the lighting.

IPB Image

and

IPB Image

Will

Nice flies and great photos! I hope to take some that nice once i set up a light tent.

I think this is a great question. When I first started taking photos of flies I was informed about "rules", such as always have a barb on the hook, even though, at that time, I mostly fished places requiring barbless hooks. Most people around here smash the barb before tying. Another rule mentioned to me was to always shoot the fly broadside, to show all of the materials, length to width ratio, hook and gape. I said, screw the rules, and really like putting flies onto vegetation in my backyard while photographing them. I really love the look of the photography on the cover of Hatches magazine, which seemingly breaks the old rules, but results in beautiful photos. A couple of nights ago I saw a fly posted somewhere on the internet, which I liked alot, and the fly was in a vise, almost broadside, but a beautiful lake and mountains were in the background. It got my attention as being different and beautiful.

I'm not sure what you mean by "product look", perhaps photos for a catalog, where the flies are offered for sale? I guess who ever runs the marketing dept gets to determine the look. I learned a bit about marketing lately, and more specifically, my recent magazine cover shot, which to me looked very green and light when seen in print. I compared it with the original shot (also cropped, same as magazine) and a successful marketing buddy told me that the original looks more natural, but if you imagine walking down an isle of magazines, which shot catches your eye and attention, it's the lighter greener photo.

I guess it all boils down to achieving the results you want, or what drives consumer sales. I guess the ultimate scenario would be to effectively capture both, with one shot.

BTW, I really like the flies and photos of them that you posted!

Graham

Ty all for the encouragement-

Graham-

by "product look" I meant catalog/advertising/soft even lighting. It is all more an experiment to get some studio lighting techniques in the toolbox.

I too like and prefer to see patterns in some kind of context, maybe I will add some of that flavour once the lighting is more under control.

I hear you on the seeing work in print/marketing . Not much control over what happens once you send it off and sign that usage paper:). One of the first times I had work published in a fly fishing mag. I was asked for two specific images and in Raw if I had them. One I had in Raw the other in jpeg (though it was marginal as an image IMHO). One was for a double page spread the other a 1/4 page. Silly me:))) I thought np. they are going to use the Raw as the double page and the jpeg as the 1/4. Thinks me they will tweak and output the Raw for publication as a double page and use the jpeg as is , and at 1/4 page it will be fine .Cool should look good/ok.

Aieeeeeeeeeee! they double paged and up-ressed the jpeg and used the Raw as a 1/4 page - sigh!!!. Needless to say the double page looked like cr***p and the Raw was just wasted IMHO. I did get paid but there was a lesson in all that. Don't assume the art director is as sensitive to photographic concerns as you are. You are very right images are sales/helper tools , it's a fly fishing mag. not a photography mag.:))) Images for the most part are there to illustrate the text and that is why they are bought/published .

All that said , I have also been very pleased with how other images have re-produced in print elsewhere.

<back to trying to make my patterns look like Vogue ads-lol

Will

Well done Will, the flies look very nice. I also prefer the angled images over the traditional sideways photograph, but see the benefit of broadside image in illustrating a pattern as a "how to" adjunct. I particularly admire the lighting, vivid colors without any metallic glare from the hook. Of course depth of field becomes increasing more challenging when one angles the fly from the camera lens, more depth required to capture the entire fly in full focus (if such is required for the picture). As far as the setting, the "clinical" effect (clean white background) shows off colors and texture very well, but can seem rather sterile compared to a more artful setting. All in the effect one wants to achieve.

A couple of questions regarding your images if you do not mind:

- Did you use a drop shadow technique, the effect is very pleasing.

- How did you generate the background, "burned out" with bright light on a white backdrop? Selection tools in Photoshop?

Russ

Ty Russ

Your perceptions re- the clinical look is dead on as well as the distinction between a "how to/descriptive " image and a "look at me " image. I would like to find a nice way to do both.

Glad you liked the lighting - I think as a base setup it can be built on -- adding context/drama to the pattern as needed- set dressing if you will.

Depth of field :))- tis interesting you mention that- I will post some images with these patterns with full depth of field- via Z depth software stacking ( same as pano stitching but going into the image rather than across)

Funnily enough I find the effect very artificial ,though very illustrative ,but maybe there is a point in between full dof and basic out of the camera dof that works.

The shadows are from the lighting , not post processing

The background was a white board - so lighting and exposure was done to make sure it stayed white.

Post processing was simple levels/white balance/sharpening

Will

Will, I admire the lighting all the more now that I understand the backdrop was based solely on white balance and exposure. Please post more tips and photos that show your "experiments" with lighting, exposure, and dof.

Russ

Will, I love the photos. The angle is perfect, and the white background shows off the colors very well. Very nice shots. On a side note, Will, Russ, Graham when I read the posts from you guys, I'm just blown away. I'm a simple country boy from Virginia and I describe things very simple. Man, I read the posts you guys put up and it's like I just got schooled in beauty by an Oxford professor. In no way am I saying anything bad of your descriptions, a very big complement if anything. Russ, I was reading your post to my wife and when I was done I said, "where is this guy from?” Then I saw Wyoming, buddy, when you think of Wyoming you think of ranchers, broncs, bull riding etc. All in all, I love to read the posts you guys put on here, though I will probably never be able to describe things in that manner. Just thinking out loud, hope none of you guys got offended over my comment, like I said, meant as a compliment.

Ashby

Then I saw Wyoming, buddy, when you think of Wyoming you think of ranchers, broncs, bull riding etc. All in all, I love to read the posts you guys put on here, though I will probably never be able to describe things in that manner. Just thinking out loud, hope none of you guys got offended over my comment, like I said, meant as a compliment.

Thank you for the compliment, Ashby, although the "schooling" certainly comes from Will and Graham.

I am a relatively recent Wyoming transplant, moved here about two years ago. After growing up in an Air Force family, and serving 30 years in the Army, we were looking for a place off the beaten path. By golly, Beulah, WY is definitely off the beaten path. See you have a similar background (military).

Fortunately, fly fishing, tying, and photography are mobile.

Russ

Thank Ashby,

Without spell check I’d come across as less than bright…lol.. My wife grew up on a dairy farm in very rural part of upstate NY (that’s how I found the brownie streams), and if I need to write something important, such as letters to politicians (typically regarding solar power) she makes the changes necessary to make my statements clear, concise, passionate and understandable…lol.. Yea, the farm girl is one of the top med-mal defense litigators in Los Angeles, and was recently admitted to the American Board of Trial Attorneys, which is a major accomplishment.

I think growing up in the country is a good thing, sort of helps keeps one's head on straight. And also provides a deep appreiciation for the great outdoors.

Hey Will,

I've been collecting a few things for a while now for indoor fly photography, and this afternoon I finally have time to start setting up stuff and begin playing. Thanks for the inspiration!

Once I get things in place and take a few pix I'll start a new topic where we can share info... Hopefully in a few hours...

Graham