Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

There are some flies here....

I finally, finally, had the opportunity and permission to sit under a tree for a few hours. I got this:

post-10077-1196740646.jpg

it was friggin' huge! I'm tanning the skin and tail, should make for some very good flies.

Is that a black head on that squirrel?? If so, it could fetch a few dollars whole...have you skinned it yet?? I'd be willing to trade a couple squirrels that I have for it as well as maybe some other materials if you still have it whole. (I do a little bit of taxidermy stuff also...this looks like he would make a cool mount)

Is that a black head on that squirrel?? If so, it could fetch a few dollars whole...have you skinned it yet?? I'd be willing to trade a couple squirrels that I have for it as well as maybe some other materials if you still have it whole. (I do a little bit of taxidermy stuff also...this looks like he would make a cool mount)

they call them fox squirrels down here, but all the other fox squirrels I've ever seen and killed "up north" have been red/brown. All of these I've seen around here have had black heads, and they get huge.

I was waiting a while to see if I can get another one before cooking them up. If I get another one I'll let you know arkfisher. I don't know anything about the laws regarding interstate transportation of game animals... I do know that in some places the laws can be pretty restrictive. This would have been a perfect one for taxidermy- only a couple #6 holes in the hide~!

The tail hair is going to be great for muddler wings, clouser wings, etc. Much longer than a regular gray squirrel.

1- That does look like a color variant of the fox squirrel (I've got the red ones "up here" by St. Louis.) Even so, that is a monster. I've only gotten a few that were 2 lbs or better.

2- Is that an Ithaca Model 37 next to the squirrel?

Rob

Yeah transporting animals can be tricky. If you check out www.taxidermy.net, you can find some information on it. As long as the animals are given away (and not endangered animals) then it is ok. I've shipped and recieved whole frozen animals...wrapped in insulation before. If you want to trade out on something sometime, let me know. That is an awesome looking squirrel!

Thanks,

Richard

1- That does look like a color variant of the fox squirrel (I've got the red ones "up here" by St. Louis.) Even so, that is a monster. I've only gotten a few that were 2 lbs or better.

2- Is that an Ithaca Model 37 next to the squirrel?

Rob

Good eye= that is a 37. It was my Dad's for a long time, it's the shotgun I learned to hunt with and with which I killed my first squirrels, grouse, rabbits, and turkey. I was home last summer on leave and he gave it to me to use and pass down to my son. Very important shotgun to me.

I hear ya- I've got a 20 ga. that my grandpa gave to me right before he died. Still my favorite gun to chase bushy-tails with- light with a smooth action.

Rob

My two favorite squirrels here in Thailand are the Giant Tree Squirrel (over a yard long!) and the Prevost Squirrel. Click here to see a photo of the Prevost. The Giant Tree Squirrel male is shiny coal black with a pale yellow belly and the female is a beautiful brown with the same yellow belly.

Both would certainly make for some nice flies, but I ain't gonna kill one. Now if I find one dead from natural or un-natural causes, that's another story. :D

Looks like thate are a bunch of flies just waiting to come out of the fur on those squirrels!!

when we lived in Alaska I shot hundreds of red tree rats around the homestead. They were even trying to nest between the logs of the home. Kicking my self now for not saving a hundred or so tails. They were pretty small though.