Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sulfernut

Floss bodies

...............Just being curious here........For those of you who regularly employ floss for bodies,tags,etc.

Do you have a preference as far as silk vs rayon,and if so,why???

Sulphernut

I use rayon floss, its cheap and looks good. You can get it in lots of colours and the 4 strand stuff is easy to separate. Although I usually use a thing ammount and double it over. ALthough I know you can get certain yarns at knitting stores that will do the trick if you split the yarn into thinner peices, i know a professional tier that does that.

-Phil

:)

I like the single strand UNI-Floss for most of my tying. It is strong and bright. If you choose to use a multi strand floss, just use one of the strands. If you use more than one strand, you will likely have lumpy results.

Skinny

Silk has different qualities than rayon which is sometimes desireable. Rayon doesn't fray as easy as silk but I read that soft hackles with silk thread bodies are more realistic looking when wet. Rayon is shinier and stronger in my opinion.

Good question. I didn't mention that in my post. For show I use silk to keep with tradition and I also like the less glossy look of silk. I use rayon for fishing flies because of the durability.