Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Isonychia

Is it possible to have too many hobbies?

For the last two years, materials for Atlantic salmon fly tying have dominated my Christmas lists. This year things were a little different.

I decided that being anal-retentive about classic wet flies and Atlantic salmon flies wasn't enough. So this year I got most of the tools I'll need to make split-cane fly rods. As soon as my shoulder is up to it, I'll start splitting and planing strips of bamboo.

Instead of taking six or eight hours to tie a full-dress pattern, I'll be spending 50 to 80 hours working on a fly rod. Big improvement, huh? :blink:

John

John, you will NOW undoutedly end up here in Roscoe in Sept. at the Eastern Boo Builders Gathering at the CFFC&M. A great event we have attended every year, (with maybe a skipped year once or twice) for probalby the last 10 at least. It grows larger every year and this past Sept. i think we had bout 70 Boo Builders here. If you want to put your learning cure into ORBIT!, you can do it over the course of that week, BIG TIME! Try it........you might like it........ :hyst:. Call the CFFC&M for exact dates & info @ 845-439-4810...... mark ;)

Some day i will start bamboo... mabie when i go vised the ex-owner of winston next month :D

too many hobbies? ive heard that one before, haha. i say, i dont know what your talking about. fishing, tying flies, frisbee golf, woodworking, building computers, going to reptile shows, playing video games, working on cars, riding motorcycle, playing street hockey every weekend, playing guitar and drums, now rod building(thanks to this forum, thats your fault!). too many hobbies? haha i was thinkin of taking up mountain biking... but i suppose that could fit into fishing, since that is why id be biking

My bro and i are heavy into mountain biking, i have a kona blast, and he has a demo nine, and a kona blast(which is a hardtail) He is semi pro, i can't ever keep up with him :(

Yes John, you clearly have exceeded your limit. As your friend I will make the supreme sacrifice and take those tying materials off your hands. After all we wouldn't want you to re-injure yourself going between the fly tying bench and the planing bench. That would be a tragedy, for certain. Just PM me for my address and you can send that heavy burden off to me, and you can be freed of the evil hobby of tying. ;)

-E

"And you can be freed of the :devil2: hobby of tying." :hyst: .....maybe that's not a bad idea.......cause anybody who still thinks of it as a "hobby".............OUTTA BE freed of it. :P :rolleyes: mark..... ;)

John, btw.......i'd like to put you in touch with a very special person who lives in Flippin, (home of Ranger Boats) Arkansas but 10 miles from my house. I go over and see him all the time and he's always in his shop buildin' them rods. He's originally from New Jersey and used to tye at all the east coast shows back in the 70's/80's.....but when his doctor told him to retire and take it easy, he and his wife moved to Vermont. Well, that didn't work out because they both needed a warmer climate.....so. They moved to Arkansas and bought a house on the White River............right smack on the White for 97K 14 years ago. You wouldn't BElieve what it's worth today. Surfice it to say.....he be cool. :D THEY be cool. :D :D Tony Spezio is his name and he ran the (headed up) committee at the Northern Arkansa Fly Fishers that puts on the Sowbug Round fly tying show every March for the first 8 years. Now it's headed up by Dean Darling and has been the last couple Sowbugs. Dean lives just two miles from us in Arkansas, in Bull Shoals. Tony has been up here for the Boo Gathering for the last two years in a row. Point is........if you EVER need help with anything along your Boo journey......there isn't a nicer cat on this planet that you'd wanna be able to call with a problem than Tony. He's a real sweetheart. Beautiful cat. Was a pilot at one time. "Back in the days." :hyst: Builds incredable rods. Knows everybody.....and is somebody you should know. Lemme know. mark..... ;)

You won't be needing your collection of Bergman patterns any more, will you? I'll be happy to take them off your hands. :hyst: :hyst:

Leigh

Mark,

I've heard of Tony and have seen his work at some online bamboo-building sites. If I ever have the opportunity to visit Arkansas, I'll get in touch with you for contact information. A friend of mine, Cliff Shelby (who drew the Harry and Charlie cartoons for Bassmaster Magazine), also lives in that neck of the woods.

And Leigh, I didn't say I was going to give up tying. I just said I was going to start making. Seems to me the most appropriate patterns to use with a "retro" bamboo rod would be the Bergman wets.

John

yes you can have too many hobbies. i just took on the task of scanning in 300 odd family slides that go from 1965 up to 1973. i cant remember the last time anyone looked at these. it was probably back in the 70's. oh man this is going to be monumental task. :wallbash: i just scanned in the first one and had to do a bunch of enhancing and color modifying to get it to look somewhat good. i hope the rest arent that bad. with a little luck whoever took the shots got better with time, or at least they got a better camera :D

post-9630-1198730988_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this