Fly Tying
Matt Inman

Supernumerary Rainbow

Matt-Outstanding job with the topping wing. It is arguably one of if not the most difficult wing there is to get right which is why there has never been any instructions anywhere. Your selection of topping crests, read curve, is flawless. Silk and tinsel are superb. What else is there to say that everyone else hasn't said already. Let's see a double topping wing fly, one above and one below..........hmmmmmm. PaulR

Heike - I hope you enjoy it. Hopefully it will warm the person it is going to since their average high for the next week will be in the lower 30's.

Rocky - I uttered those first two words multiple times during the construction of this fly. :)

Arkle - I was afraid that the head had gotten way too big. :)

Bruno - Thanks for the compliments. You know how much I value your comments always.

Juho - I SHOULD have tied the Orange after the yellow. The wing was intended to be in the color spectrum of ROYGBV but I mixed them up. Guess I have to give it to the razorblade now. :( The ribbing was difficult as I had to redo the body to start the tie in point on the back of the fly instead of the bottom to make the rib be centered in the colored section. Once I got going it wasn't really that bad.

Gotz - Thanks for the comments. You really are a bad influence on me after all. Your method of one freestyle and one classic is the path I choose to take for the time being. I actually plan to tie the next three as freestyles having a common theme. It may be a while before they all get done but I think they will be pretty cool when they are complete. This fly originally came about from seeing the classic "Rainbow" fly and thinking that a normal topping wing looked out of place on that beautiful body.

Paul R - Thanks for the compliments and inspiration. Like I stated originally, this fly was originally designed at your house. It has taken me many months to pound out the design (which originally resembled a Smith), get the materials prepped and my courage up. :)

Lee - Thanks buddy!

Thanks to everyone who made comments! I guess I have to say that I am chuffed about this one. :)

I will try to take the time in the next day or so to post some of the tricks I learned on this one. The head size is so small because I learned a trick and the body work is obviously something a little different for me also.

Attached is a picture of a Supernumerary Rainbow which is a double rainbow and my intended meaning for the name. The definition of Supernumerary also fits as:

supernumerary \soo-puhr-NOO-muh-rair-ee; -NYOO-\, adjective:

1. Exceeding the stated, standard, or prescribed number.

2. Exceeding what is necessary or desired; superfluous.

I think that some might agree that this exceeds the prescribed number just a bit. :)

post-5737-1198940057_thumb.jpg

Juho - I SHOULD have tied the Orange after the yellow. The wing was intended to be in the color spectrum of ROYGBV but I mixed them up. Guess I have to give it to the razorblade now. :( The ribbing was difficult as I had to redo the body to start the tie in point on the back of the fly instead of the bottom to make the rib be centered in the colored section. Once I got going it wasn't really that bad.

If you do that, you'll better watch your back...! :boxing:

..i wonder which would be the nearest mob..

:gun_bandana: :cry:

:shifty: ...Juho...

I was joking Juho! I will not go Guidry on this one as it will certainly be mounted and sent as a gift. Just trying to get a rise out of you. :)

I was joking Juho! I will not go Guidry on this one as it will certainly be mounted and sent as a gift. Just trying to get a rise out of you. :)

:yahoo:

You got me, you got me gooood.... :D

-Juho-

I don't know how the hell you pulled off that ribbing trick, but that is stunning! Did you dye the GP crests?

Amazing fly, Bro :headbang:

Great to see the "second half" of this one was worth waiting for. Bet your wife has placed an order if she knows you're giving this one away. Beautuful fly for the most understanding person in the world. :P

That's no fair Dave, you already know who is getting the fly. You gave a pretty good hint, let's see if anyone else can figure out who is getting the fly.

If I have already told you the recipient, don't make a guess (Jamie, John and a couple others are not eligible).