Fly Tying

user posted image

This is a picture of two White Millers. This was my first time tryin to spin deer hair, so these looked pretty easy. The top one is the first one that I did, bottom is second. I'm sure with a littl more practice at spinning deer hair I will get better.

I put as the imitation a Hopper/Cricket. I don't think that is where is was suposed to go, maybe the Mayfly??

What ya think for my first time at spinning deer hair? Where can I improve?

Thanks

They look great!! I'm not familiar with the White Miller so I don't want to constructively critisize your work. For me, the toughest part with spinning deer hair was keeping the butts seperated from the tips when I wanted to create a collar for flies like the wooly sculpin. A good video helped tremendously.

Jimmy Nix has a great video about spinning deer hair with a lot of tips and tricks. He answers almost all the questions you could think of for spinning deer hair. The video is catered to bass fishing and bass flies but the same techniques can be applied to any type fly.

Have a nice tie,

Chip

Looking good bud, I was actually looking at this pattern on another site(can't remember where).....very strange.

Anyway if you planning on fishing this fly topwater I would suggest taking off the collar on the bottom of the fly to make it more flat. With the collar going around the bottom it could make the fly land sideways and not sit correctly in the water. If your planning on fishing it subsurface forget everything I said biggrin.gif

I think it's a moth ... aka Miller Moth and those look pretty good. I've never been really good at spinning deer hair but the best tip I can give anyone is "Use a double-sided razor blade to trim your flies". Well done!

cool pic of a good hatch of em

user posted image

I've been lucky enough to hit this hatch pretty decently in the past few years, last year hit the tail end of it. Best luck was on a white wulff. The fish were absolutely busting and attacking it. Was one of the most fun times on the water i've ever had.

steve

Smallie Hunter-

acutally, I was thinking about stripping it like a streamer, and letting it float. I tied another and clipped the bottom flat. I put some water in a glass and know what you are talking about when they tend to flop on the side. So the two that are not clipped, I will see how they work when stripping them.

Thanks everyone. The biggest problem that I had was the same thing as Fish-n-Chip, seperating the ends.

MSU, are you sure about the Ephoron and White Miller being the same? I believe the White Miller is more of a moth than a mayfly. I've seen them hatch together but believed they are distinctively different. I'll have a free moment or two later and will dive into a book to check myself.

The standard White miller fly pattern is suppose to be a mayfly Ephoron leukon,

which hatches July to early-August on most of Michigan waters.

The pattern that flyrod4steelhead has tied, may just work for the spinner fall if it tied down to size 14-16, but in the size he has tied I would agree that it may serve as a small streamer/sculpen better.

None the less I wouldn't discount the fly off hand it looks like an excellent tie

OSD.

According to Doug Swisher & Carl Richards in their book Selevtive Trout, the "White Miller" is a caddis fly (Nectopsyche albida, Nectopsyche exquisita) and the "White Fly" would be the mayfly (Ephron album, Ephron leukon). Both fly's can be found on northern Michigan streams around the same time (late summer).

I don't know if those flies resemble a caddis or a mayfly F4S, but I agree with the others that they are cool looking flies. Well tied and I'm sure they'll get you into plenty of fish. Deer hair is pretty cool to work with once you get the hang of it (which it looks like you have). Good job.

Al

here is where it gets tricky... when i was a really small kid (well young, not small), my granddad referred to what i think was some sort of caddis as a miller. In some parts of the country they call the ephoron leukon white millers, while others do in fact call that caddis a white miller. Not to mention some local designations such as dusty millers, whiteflies, and there are probably more.

In Michigan it seems as if we get a way better ephoron hatch than we do the caddisfly version of the same monicre (at least in most streams I fish). Though I have seen them along the stream at the same time, I have yet to see the caddis in vast numbers.

Kind of a blurred line as to whats what when people start naming multiple things the same.

steve

QUOTE (SALMONATOR @ Apr 30 2004, 10:32 PM)
According to Doug Swisher & Carl Richards in their book Selevtive Trout, the "White Miller" is a caddis fly (Nectopsyche albida, Nectopsyche exquisita) and the "White Fly" would be the mayfly (Ephron album, Ephron leukon). Both fly's can be found on northern Michigan streams around the same time (late summer).

I don't know if those flies resemble a caddis or a mayfly F4S, but I agree with the others that they are cool looking flies. Well tied and I'm sure they'll get you into plenty of fish. Deer hair is pretty cool to work with once you get the hang of it (which it looks like you have). Good job.

Al

This is where my info came from and I agree with your critique of the fly. A very nice fly so don't let us mess you up here Dale. I'm sure it will catch quite a few fish.

I've always considered the White Miller a moth/caddis fly that is of a different species as the others causing it to be a brighter white than the others that are an off white (cream). I witnessed a great hatch of caddis/White Millers on a NW Michigan stream with the mayfly Ephoron's coming off sparsely mixed in. Let me say the fishing was great and one of my biggest 'bows on a soft hackle came during this hatch. Matter of fact, darkness and no light is the only thing that made me leave the stream as I was hooking trout on every cast.