Fly Tying
btrout

Hackle pliers

I have been tying flies for 10 years or so but I have never found a reliable pair of hackle pliers. I was hoping the tyers out there could give me some good advice on a manufacturer they are happy with. I tie small drys and large spey's.

Thanks, and a great new year to you all.

i have english style hackle pliers, griffin tear drop, and the griffin rotating. I find that the english style doesnt do it for me. The griffing rotating pliers works best for larger feathers because they tend to slip sometimes even though there is rubber on one side. But the ones I like to use the most are my griffin tear drop pliers. They are small, light, cheap and easy to use and never slip on me. I would recommend them to anyone. Since they are only a couple dollars it doesnt hurt to put a pair in your travel bag too.

Phil

I use the English style pliers, the small ones. I tie dries and soft hackles and feel I have better control with delicate hackle stems. Have tried the Radio Shack and rotating types, but came back to these. I also think it's one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and what you get used to.

I use the wire testers sold by Radio Shack for all my tying.

Mike

I like this idea - I think I am going to try it. My rotating pliers slip as well.

You can make the wire testers even more slip-proof by stretching a piece of a thin rubber band over the stem, just under where the wire clip comes down. That way the hackle stem is trapped between the wire clip and rubber, rather than plastic. You lash both ends of the rubber band to the thicker part of the stem.

Not essential--they hold pretty well without it--but helpful.

The most reliable hackle pliers I have used is a cheap thing I bought when I first started out. ("India" is stamped on one side, so I think it may be a Sunrise product.) After 15 years of use the rubber pad has become worn down. I have tried just about every style of plier on the market hoping to find something as good or better. I finally did a few months ago: The tool looks just like my old pair, except the metal is thicker and shiny, and "Terra" is stamped in place of "India".

I like the delicacy of the English pliers. But, in my hands, they result in too many broken hackles (usually just as I finish winding the collar.) I also like the holding power of the "grabbers" sold by Mike Hogue, but I find them clumsy to attach and detach from the feather.

btrout...great post!!!...I've been in the same boat lately.....I find the radio shackers slip, and the pair of English work very well, but they seem gigantic for the size hackles I'm using. I was wondering myself if I should buy a smaller size or if there was some other style that was better.

I think this pretty much goes for most of the hackle pliers styles -

you can't depend on these straight out of the box according to

AK Best - it's a good idea to dis-engage the jaws and then de-burr

them with a fine file or emery board. While you have the jaws

dis-engaged you can stretch them apart to get some extra grip

pressure also. I had less breakages after following AK's advice.

Anyone wishing to try rubber jaws - just put a piece of heat-shrink

tubing on each of the plier jaws - just make sure to use a size that

shrinks snug.

I'm an English style hackle plier man myself - I like the fact that the

ring at the end fits around my finger for easy winding.

Tried the rotary jointed ones - didn't like them - guess it's a personal

thing like Chase Creek says.

Didn't try the teardrop model yet though - looks promising.